The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
jkk

Power Door Locks

Hey guys
My power door locks quit working on my 80. The right one quit then the left one quit. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot them looked for fuses but didn't see any

Any help would be great.

Thanks
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: Power Door Locks

Theres a door lock relay mounted on the bracket above the accelerator pedal near the convenience center. Most of the time isnt not the relay but either corrosion at/in the switch or a broken wire. Orange w/blk wire is hot at all times, light blue and black wires are the momentary negative pulse trigger wires for the actuators. Time to get a test light and do some testing...!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
jkk

Thanks for the tip will have look
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

Pull the door panels off. Grab the end of the harness where the connector attaches to the switch. Wiggle the connector with the ignition on and operate the switch. If the window operates intermittently, then you need to replace the short harnesses, which includes the odd 90 degree connector to the window switch pins. If you can't get the windows to operate with that method, then check for power to the connector at the bottom of the door. If there is no power there, then you have to follow the wire until you find no power and fix that.

Most people start with replacing the switches but I have found that this is rarely the problem. If you have power at the connector which supplies power to the window motor, but no power beyond that, then you need new motors. You can get motors with the regulator assembly attached from Delco, so I would go with those.

You can also get those short switch harnesses from Delco, but the wires are not color coded, so you need to know which wire to splice in where.

Last edited by tucsonjwt; 01-03-2018 at 09:20 PM.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote