The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2002, 10:47 AM   #1
NGN

upper & lowwer control arms & crossmember

I have those parts mention in title from a 1970 and down six lug drum brake, not sure of exzact year . I was hoping to use those parts on my 72 ( bare ) frame with 72 spindles for five lug disc , and all new 72 front end parts. My question is will the uppers & lowwers control arms and cross member ( once again off a possiale 70 and down ) work on the the 72 frame. I would like to start and clean them up for paint .

Thank for any help
Nick
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 07:36 PM   #2
jnelson

SHOULD FIT

I have converted a 67 to 5 lug using a 72
donner. I used the complete A frame assy, from the 67. The only thing is that the ball joints and tie rod ends where different sizes.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:31 PM   #3
NGN

jnelson Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it will work to , it's just that I heard at one time that the upper or lower a-frame is longer on 71-72 disc brake set up . Is your truck with the new set up on the road now ? And did you have any problem with alignment ?

Thanks again
Nick
Old 09-04-2002, 06:34 PM   #4
jnelson

to the best of my knowledge it is. I was forced to sell it soon after I converted it, wish I had it back, but now I have a step side and that has always been a dream. I really dont think that they would change the A frame set up, it's just dont make since to me. why retool and retro fit all them trucks just for a few years, when the excisting system works fine just needs better brakes.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:53 AM   #5
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

64-70 disc swap minimally needed(reccommended)parts needed from a '71-87 donor truck:

lower arms, spindles, rotors, calipers, hoses for year of calipers, combination valve, new balljoints for year of spindles, tie rod ends for year of spindles and center link. and center link for year of spindles, 71/72, or 73-up, differences are in the inner tie rod stud holes in the bar, length of bar is same all years 64-87, sometimes rod end stud diameter and stud hole diameter in center link differ from manual to p/s, look or measure to make sure tie rods studs fit correctly in holes in center link, first

good luck

we really need a sticky thread for this subject, and/or a way faster easier to find link to the info on this swap, gets old expaining it so many times in a short amount of time.,
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 09:21 PM   #6
NGN

Thanks guys for the replies, would of said it sooner but just got back from vacation. fast68chevy I hated bringing it up again, knowing that it is asked so many times before. Just one question left, Is the crossmember (67-72) interchangable? Thanks always for the info.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:24 PM   #7
73GMC
Proud American

parts

if you end up looking for any 73-87 parts for your swap, i got a full front suspension setup available on a 79 chevy c10. will sell cheap too. thanks and good luck!

ah6601@yahoo.com
73GMC is offline   Reply With Quote