The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
cajundragger

Crewcab Floor and Rocker Questions

Hi all,

I picked up a new cab to start my restoration of my previously 'restored' '76 C20 3+3. My current cab has already been patched terribly and un-safe. The floor supports are cut back, and never extended again to meet the inner rockers- and many of the panels are overlapped and just put in as quick as possible. Plus, being from up north most of the cab seams are rusty beyond what I'm looking to fix.

Fast forward to this weekend, I picked up a new cab(with title) to start fresh with. The cab has more rust than I was hoping it had, but the guy worked on the price with me and I took it home anyways. So it's mine to sort out now. The metal work needed is no problem, I just need to know what it's supposed to look like. My original '76 has a botched job, so I can't look on it for what is supposed to be factory.

This cab rusted from having the windows down for an extended period of time along with clogged up cowl vents at the bottom. So typical bottom up rocker rust is not there, but top down edge of floor pan and rocker rust is present. Cab supports are 100% clean along with all the sheetmetal 4" up from the floor. And the dash is uncut :party36:

My question- do the rear rockers look patched to you guys?? Obviously I can see a seam where a rocker was put on. Both sides match perfectly- so either they were replaced by the same guy at the same time or the factory did it. Also on the inners, it looks like you can see where the old inner rocker was and somebody cut it off to a flange, and welded new inners over the top. This is, of course, unless this is how it was done factory?

I see LMC and brothers selling 1 piece crew cab rockers. Were the factory rockers 1 piece?

Does anyone have similar pictures of a crewcab they know is untouched?

Pics-

cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
daddyjeep

Re: Crewcab Floor and Rocker Questions

The one piece rockers that you see for sale are just the lower part, they do not extend into the door jamb. Front Rockers are the same as a 2 door, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket replacements for the rear unless you stumble on some expensive NOS ones. I covered the process pretty well in my build thread if you want to check that out.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
cajundragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
The one piece rockers that you see for sale are just the lower part, they do not extend into the door jamb. Front Rockers are the same as a 2 door, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket replacements for the rear unless you stumble on some expensive NOS ones. I covered the process pretty well in my build thread if you want to check that out.
Can you confirm the rockers are 4 separate piece factory? and not one continuous stamping? I see what you are saying about that 1 piece deal.

My rear rockers look like what yours originally did- where the front of the rear rocker overlaps the back of the B piller. It looks like a crap botch job, but I think its OE.

Do my inners look OE and not after market(repaired)? It's weird to think the factory kind of pieced these trucks together. But from what I can find through searching around, my inners look correct.

Also- can you confirm if the tops of the rockers are supposed to be seam sealed to the floor front to back? along the lip that the weather strip hooks on? It appears this bead of seam seal held the water in the last step of the floor and caused most of the rust. Without the seam seal, the water would have run out the kick panels(cowl was blocked up with leaves), down the floor and down through the rockers. But without the seam seal, it would have been a water ingress path from the rockers up.

Maybe this cab I have hasn't been messed with before.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
daddyjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
Can you confirm the rockers are 4 separate piece factory? and not one continuous stamping? I see what you are saying about that 1 piece deal.

My rear rockers look like what yours originally did- where the front of the rear rocker overlaps the back of the B piller. It looks like a crap botch job, but I think its OE.

Mine looked the same. I thought the same thing as you. I wasn't sure if it was factory or not.

Do my inners look OE and not after market(repaired)? It's weird to think the factory kind of pieced these trucks together. But from what I can find through searching around, my inners look correct.

Also- can you confirm if the tops of the rockers are supposed to be seam sealed to the floor front to back? along the lip that the weather strip hooks on? It appears this bead of seam seal held the water in the last step of the floor and caused most of the rust. Without the seam seal, the water would have run out the kick panels(cowl was blocked up with leaves), down the floor and down through the rockers. But without the seam seal, it would have been a water ingress path from the rockers up.

Mine had a bunch of spot welds holding the outer to the inner along the seam and also had seam sealer along the inside which in theory would direct the water to the drain hole.

Maybe this cab I have hasn't been messed with before.
I am thinking it is all factory.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
cajundragger

Thanks sir.