The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
essner

New builder needs help please..50 5 window chevy

Hey guys i recently acquired a 1950 5 window chevy pickup from my father in law and i am in need of MAJOR help. ive fooled around with cars before but nothing to this nature. Ive gutted the whole truck and picked up a sbc 350 for it. but now im stuck. All im doing now is cleaning up the motor and breaking it down to put new gaskets. As for the truck itself i gutted the whole thing and i removed all the glass, but now im trying to plan what else needs to be done. Im thinking of boxing the frame but i have no idea how or where i would start. If you guys could please help me with ideas of what i need to do and also how i should do it id greatly appreciate it. And also if you guys could give me insite as to how to box the frame id also appreciate that as well. ANY ADVISE WOULD HELP. THANKS GUYS

also looking for info for how to c notch the frame, THANKS
essner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: New builder needs help please..50 5 window chevy

Welcome. stock or modifed suspension? low or high? what is YOUR finished dream truck? Skill level? Decide which direction you want to go, stock, restomod, slammed, etc. then look at some of the build threads to see what you are getting into. Also consider budget, cheap guys like Kustombrad and me like to think alot and cruise junk yards. Others have deep pockets and no problem ordering 10-20K in parts to clip, bag, etc. or have work done by others. Boxing the frame is not necessary, in fact in my application frame flex is desirable off-road. But big horsepower with extensive frame mods warrants it. I'm into my 6th year of building mine (economy got the best of me), but others seem to do it in much less, just depends on the amount of time and money you have available. Also need to gauge the amount of significant other support you will have, which can affect time and money too! Narrow it down and we will chime in.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
essner

Ideally I would like to bag the truck, mustang II front, c notch the rear, basically I'd like to make it a slammed hot rod restoration..I'd love to have a sleek and low truck, if it can be low without putting bags I'm fine with that..... my pockets are shallow so I'm interested in fabricating some things mysidelf such as a 4 link and brackets needed and a wooden bed...my skill level is just an average hobbiest at the moment, I have not fully built or restored any cars yet but I have the drive to learn, and I have the ambition that one day I'll be the one teaching another young car enthusiast the tricks I hope to gain from this build and hopefully many more after....thanks for replying to the neewbie post appreciate it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
bo21

Just my opinion start with one part of the truck and fix it . Then start on another part , i have had my 47 apart to many times to do something twice. I had more fun with it when i could drive it and work on it .
bo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
essner

When I got the truck the motor was seized and the truck hasn't moved for years, that's how I got lucky and am now working on it ....so currently all ive been doing is cleaning up the 350 i picked up for it...the only thing I know I gotta do next is get the old straight six outta there....then I'm going to clean up the firewall, should I make some new sheetmetal for this job or should I just fill the holes? I also have to replace the floorboards....is a wirefeed welder ok for the job? Also what size sheetmetal should I use? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
pgf545

Look through my build thread and I have some pictures of when I boxed our frame. We bought a kit but you can probably build the plates yourself out of plate. On the resto side you can do as much or as little as you want on these things. The one i am building with my dad started out as lets put that engine in it and install a Heidts Mustang 2 front setup and now it has turned into a monster...lol. Seriously I am pretty good at the mechanicals but the body panel replacing was totally new to me and I have had to do tons of work. It is finally starting to look like a truck again. If you have any questions feel free to ask these guys on this board were very helpful all through my build.

Bernie
Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
essner

HERES WHERE I STARTED AND WHERE I AM WITH THE BUILD!!!!!

HOW I GOT IT:

A BUNCH OF EXTRA PARTS THAT WE HAVE:

HAD TO MOVE THE PROJECT AWAY FROM THE BUSHES AND GET SOME WORKING SPACE.....WE THEN SET UP OUR GARAGE (AKA 20X10 TENT) AND BLOCKED UP THE TRUCK

THEN I STARTED TRYING TO CLEAN UP AND GUT THE TRUCK

REMOVED THE GRILL AND LIGHTS AND REMOVED ALL THE OLD WIRING

SIDE SHOT OF THE TRUCK.... NOTICE THE RUST IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAB

REAR VIEW OF THE TRUCK:

OTHER SIDE OF TRUCK:

PULLED THE OLD PLYWOOD OUT OF THE BED:

PIC OF THE MAJOR RUST:

RIPPED OUT THE SEATS AND TOOK OUT THE OLD GAS TANK:

THE OLD INLINE 6:

THE OLD/NEW CHEVY 350 I GOT ON CRAIGSLIST:

STRIPPING DOWN THE ENGINE AND REMOVING THE OLD PAINT

LEARNED THAT TAL STRIP ISNT REALLY THAT GOOD, FOUND OUT THAT KLEEN STRIP PAINT STRIPPER IS THE WAY TO GO

JUST A PIC FOR LAUGHS: OUR ENGINE HOIST :P

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
99 to Life

great looking truck, hey you gotta make do with what you got and what you know. that is why this board is so great. I absolutely love the patina on the extra parts you have. I wish you were close cause I'd buy them off you. anyway I think the most challenging thing for you will be the beltline aka the lip that goes around the cab that has all those holes in it. There are some examples of how people done theirs on here. Good start with the sbc, I'd build a start stand and get it up and running and play with it, so you understand how it works, cause that is going to be the heart of your truck.

You can go s-10 frame route which will prolly be a little cheaper than dealing with your stock frame, they both have pros and cons. But if you stick with OG frame you will need a drop axle to lower the front. I'd skip the air ride system on this one, because you can always go back and add that, and they are expensive. So get it on the road then decide. You can probably put bags in the rear though or use lowering blocks or take the springs out and run a 4 link with adjustable coils.

Depending on trans you use, I'd get that next, take your cab and bed completely off, use your sbc and trans to moch up where they will go. Keep in mind distance to your radiator. Drive shaft and rear end might be an issue, you might have to use something different and prolly should cause those are really low geared. Plus right now these rims are 6 bolt, you might wanna think about converting so you can use 5 bolt rims.

I'd get an aftermarket wiring harness, such as EZ or rebel and start fresh
you can get a lot of repro parts, like interior pieces etc from classicparts.com and a slew of others. If you need glass, keep yours and go to a local glass cutter and have them cut it, or order new glass.

there is just too much to explain, the key is time. You are gonna fail and succeed before it all comes together, just subscribe to threads on here you like and follow them and get ideas and constantly research and work on it, that is the only way it will get done. Don't get overwhelmed, do one thing at a time. IF you get engine running that is a great start.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
fist5366

looks like fun, good luck. I'll keep watching to see how it goes im about done with my build and thinking of starting another one. If you need any ideas just ask the site, its amazing what you can find on here. Lots of smart people that helped me out. I went on a budget as well used the stock frame so doesnt quit sit like I would like but it will be good for now. You can check out my build if it helps, My 53 five window under projects and builds
fist5366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
jevonniespapi

If I was you, Id come up with a good plan of what direction you want to go, then shoot for it. Address suspension, drivetrain, interior, etc. Everything is on the board, you just need to go through everyone's build. Im doing the same as you pretty much. Looks like you have a lot of rust as well, I'd start with a bare frame, as many do.

Keep us updated, everyone loves pics!
jevonniespapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
99 to Life

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4797469
check out how shannon did some belt line work. I'm sure he will post more.

Also def box that frame, strip it down. Make sure you get a good welder or borrow one. use the same thickness steel as the frame, bevel your edge on your pieces you cut out that way you get a nice weld. I'm sure you can search on here how people have done theirs. I wouldn't worry about notching the frame unless you are really going to run air ride. I think you can get away with lower in enough and have a great stance.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
OrrieG

Also critical when you pull the cab is the firewall location and like 99 said the radiator. It will vary depending on if you stick with stock frame, camaro, s-10 or ?? S-10 seem to have issues with engine to rad clearance. If you use the stock rear crossmember and sbc original bellhousing the engine mounts ok for firewall clearance. If you go to saddle engine mount and trans mount you need to check clearance. BBC in the SBC location required mods to the firewall (big bump into the cab). Last week end I saw one at a show that had a bbc without firewall, but it made for interesting trans and radiator issues.

When I did mine the 4wd complicated it more. I started with the stock front drive line to locate the transfer/transmission. Luckily the engine cleared the firewall, even with my tall MT valve covers. I fabbed my engine mounts based on where the engine fell. Make sure you have the intake on so the carb is level and the engine/trans has the right angle (around 3-4 degrees if memory is working right).

I found it very helpful to start a detailed check list of things to keep track of overall and by sub system. I found it gets rid of alot of the stress involved in trying to remember everything. I have had list for years for engine, tranny, etc. R&R just so I don't forget something critical like adding oil. Bag and tag everything, I took mine apart in 2000 and now that I am reassembleing the sketches and notes in the parts bags are invaluable. Also take pictures in a format that will last. I did my whole disassembly and early stuff with a camcorder that died. Luckily my kids had the same unit so I am working on getting it transfered to dvd.

good luck and have fun
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
xpickup

essner. Looks like you have a good project. Do not let the rust scare you. The truck doesn't look too bad. It appears to be the worst around the back belt line. Check out my build and you can see how I fixed it. If you have any questions just ask. Just keep on working on it and if you run into any problems just ask on here. There are a lot of great people on here and they will help.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
Jvsapp

nice score bro, if you need help hit me up. i love other side of the island, but i'd be down to help.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote