The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Jay W

Question about a 383 stroker

Hello guys I have been a member for a few months now and have spent way to many hrs reading the various threads but have gained a tremendous amount of knowlege from this site. Thanks to all!

I have been thinking about rebuilding my motor this winter, it is a 350 backed by a TH400 and came accross this ad in the local classifieds. I am wondering what you guys would consider paying for this motor and what to look for to make sure it is repairable.

quote from the add:
"i have a 383 stroker with 12 hours on it. For some reason after runnning the engin started getting blow by, where smoke/ oil starts coming out of the valve covers. Looking to sell, if you are interested in tearing it down it will likely just need a rebuild kit. Engine is open to offers, or if you have a engine you are trying to get rid of maybe we can make a swap. The 383 has 425hp, 450ft/pounds of torque. The engine will be sold with just the block, heads, intake, valve covers, and flywheel."

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Kerry P

Re: Question about a 383 stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay W View Post
Hello guys I have been a member for a few months now and have spent way to many hrs reading the various threads but have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from this site. Thanks to all!

I have been thinking about rebuilding my motor this winter, it is a 350 backed by a TH400 and came accross this ad in the local classifieds. I am wondering what you guys would consider paying for this motor and what to look for to make sure it is repairable.

quote from the add:
"i have a 383 stroker with 12 hours on it. For some reason after runnning the engin started getting blow by, where smoke/ oil starts coming out of the valve covers. Looking to sell, if you are interested in tearing it down it will likely just need a rebuild kit. Engine is open to offers, or if you have a engine you are trying to get rid of maybe we can make a swap. The 383 has 425hp, 450ft/pounds of torque. The engine will be sold with just the block, heads, intake, valve covers, and flywheel."

Thanks,
Jason
It's difficult to put a price on it without knowing the details about the components. A budget 383 can be built or bought surprisingly cheap. A budget stroker kit can be picked up for under $700 (US) and another $200-$300 in machine work could have a decent 350 block ready for building. A 383 with premium component could cost about four times more.

I have two 355s in the garage that were "professionally built". They ran OK and were in cars that I purchased. One did not have the rings properly gapped and shattered a hypereutectic piston. Both looked like debris had been left in the oil passages and have scored cranks.

If you're lucky the engine your considering may have a couple of broken rings from poor assembly techniques. That would be an easy and cheap fix. If it is a hack job then you might not end up with any parts that you would want to use.
Kerry P is offline   Reply With Quote