The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
chevydriver

new here need advice

i have a 53 gmc when a got this truck it was deleverd ,it came in boxes an buckets the frame had been cut off in the front an a 70 nova frame welded on it wasent straight an a really bad job. so i had a 77 half ton short wheel base frame two wheel drive i am trying to make it work an the wheelbase seems to be right has any body else put there 47-54 truck on full size frame?if so any pointers
chevydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: new here need advice

Welcome. Short answer, it can be done, but newer frames are wider and your body will sit much higher than it is now because of how it kicks up. Getting the Camaro clip done right (there was a thread mid last year about someone that did that to a customers truck), finding a stock frame and going w/ aftermarket front end or S-10 conversion would all probably be less work. Also your tires and wheel will project way out beyond the fenders, even with skinny wheels and tires.

Do a deep search of the site and many threads on this will show up. Search the build threads I think there are a couple of guys that did the swap, it will let you know what you are up against.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
meter swinger

a friend of mine has a 56 gmc on a 78 frame, it is really tight in the front and he has skinny tires with offset wheels like a front wheel drive car.
With and AD body being even narrower than a Task Force truck, you would have wheel/tire to wheel well fitment issues, espescially in the front unless your building a 4x4.
Seems like the s-10 frame swap is becoming so common for a good reason, its a natural fit for the AD trucks.
Search the site for s-10 swaps you should get more info here than anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
chevydriver

thanks i have a bid in on a s15 on ebey been told same frame as s10 its a reg. cab with long bed 82 model
chevydriver is offline   Reply With Quote