The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Winderlust

Need Advise on Value Priced Paint Shop in SoCal

Does anyone have a lead on a good fair-priced body and paint shop in Southern California?

I have a new, to me, 1971 Chevy, LWB, Fleetside that needs minimal bondo work and a complete paint job, two colors, including inside cab and underside of hood.

I'll be removing all the hardware and trim, inside and out, and replacing it all after the paint goes on.

My budget is $5K for light body work, sand prep, bed off, and paint the whole exterior and inside the cab and bed., two color tones (Misty Turquoise Poly, Classic White) and one clear coat.

I'd appreciate any and all help
Winderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Need Advise on Value Priced Paint Shop in SoCal

I'm in the same boat with a short fleet but only one color. I've had for estimates, low was 7k high was 12k. Will be following this thread for some leads.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
Winderlust

Lee H,

Good to hear I'm not alone in this sorry boat. I actually started dreaming about somehow renting a space for a month and doing it myself. My problem is I like my truck too much. Geez, I'm in Glendora not too far from you. If we hear some good news from this forum we might get our trucks painted by the same shop.

I hope that happens
Winderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Lee H

The CARB has almost killer the affordable paint and body business in California. Most shops I talk to only do insurance jobs because they pay the rates. When I get to mine this spring I'm going to buy a da, a roll of 80 & 150 grit and strip off all the paint, apply a primer sealer and then shop it out. Should be able to save some change.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
The CARB has almost killer the affordable paint and body business in California. Most shops I talk to only do insurance jobs because they pay the rates. When I get to mine this spring I'm going to buy a da, a roll of 80 & 150 grit and strip off all the paint, apply a primer sealer and then shop it out. Should be able to save some change.
Posted via Mobile Device
Be careful about doing most of the prep work, most body shops will tell you that even if the work you do is flawless, they will tell you that they don't know what's under the primer and will not gurantee the paint job or they tell you that they will need to sand and do more prepping to get it to their specs, Every painter I talk to do not like it when you do the prep work.

Tri5
Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
leddzepp

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=496949

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd View Post
Be careful about doing most of the prep work, most body shops will tell you that even if the work you do is flawless, they will tell you that they don't know what's under the primer and will not gurantee the paint job or they tell you that they will need to sand and do more prepping to get it to their specs, Every painter I talk to do not like it when you do the prep work.

Tri5
I have no intention to "prep for paint" just to get the 3 paint jobs plus the original on there now off. I fully expect the shop to take off the primer and fix what ever needs fixed. I'm thinking it will take them much less time to remove a coat of primer than 3 plus original off. Peace, Lee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
paul mora

I work with a shop in Santa Ana CA just had a 66 ford truck painted wich required lots of body prep. They do a lot of Custom work or what they call the "One "Day" the 66 Ford cost was about your budget. We also had a Monte Carlo done for less then 2 Grand. It came our pretty good for something better then the so called One Day.

PM if your are interested.
Posted via Mobile Device