The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Air Suspension Binding from Full Drop...

So I've had the blazer back for a little bit now, but I notice that it takes about 40-50 PSI to get the front driver side up from full drop...and when it does finally let go, it sounds like there was a give (un binding) in the suspension up there. I've noticed it ever since I bagged my ride, but now that it's semi mobile I need to investigate it a litte bit more. It's not that this corner stays all the way down, as it does go up a little...just not as high as the right even with me outside the vehicle. The noise it makes when it lets go sounds just like a coil spring being a little off and finding it's seat.

I plan to just have someone hit the switch slowly as I watch the suspension, but I was wondering if anyone has encountered this before so I maybe I can start looking for something in particular.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
leftcoast66

Re: Air Suspension Binding from Full Drop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
So I've had the blazer back for a little bit now, but I notice that it takes about 40-50 PSI to get the front driver side up from full drop...and when it does finally let go, it sounds like there was a give (un binding) in the suspension up there. I've noticed it ever since I bagged my ride, but now that it's semi mobile I need to investigate it a litte bit more. It's not that this corner stays all the way down, as it does go up a little...just not as high as the right even with me outside the vehicle. The noise it makes when it lets go sounds just like a coil spring being a little off and finding it's seat.

I plan to just have someone hit the switch slowly as I watch the suspension, but I was wondering if anyone has encountered this before so I maybe I can start looking for something in particular.
Have you checked the balljoints? I had a similar issue on my c10, never got it resolved but always believed it was the balljoint. Instead I tore the truck apart and got rid of the whole front suspension (unrelated reasons).
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
jimmydean

Put it up on ramps or put the frame up on jack stands with a jack under the ball joint and cycle through the travel a few times.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I'll check them, but they are new and had zero play when I installed the bags. I should mention that it only happens if it sits for a few minutes or more fully aired out. If I get it all the way up, then drop down, it goes up fine with no noise or what seems like a bind.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
leftcoast66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
I'll check them, but they are new and had zero play when I installed the bags. I should mention that it only happens if it sits for a few minutes or more fully aired out. If I get it all the way up, then drop down, it goes up fine with no noise or what seems like a bind.
It could be that it's being pushed into a bind when fully aired out.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
losthope

Are you running each bag on a switch independently ? fronts tied together on one switch? I have just the basic bolt in plates and bags up front and the fronts running on one switch and when airing up one bag fills up faster then the other and then when the second bag starts to fill up it makes sort of a popping or loud noise as if one of the bag chambers is coming out of a bind from being compressed because all the weight from the motor is on it ,since the other bag is filled up more.....may this be the same thing? kinda sounds like what your describing....when you have two bags tied together to one switch most likely they will not air up at the same rate and will always be uneven until air equals out after awhile in the bags and lines....but this may not be the case need a little more info on your setup, my rear bags are also tied together from one switch and air up uneven just with out the popping sound of the bag airing up since theres less weight in the rear....just my 2 cents

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
502ms

How do you fix that if they are tied together?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
losthope

run a solenoid and air line to each bag so each bag has its own air supply feed...when the bags are "T" together running off one air line is when they will air up uneven....sorry my other other post should have said tied together on one air line working from one switch...

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Mine are plumbed separately. I had them tied together at first only because I had the gauge lines tied together until I got them so I only had to buy 2 plugs instead of 4, and I had the same issue. Now that they are separate, it hasn't gone away.

If I fill both front bags to about 40 lbs, the passenger is higher than the driver side. After i fill them up to about 80 psi and that knock sound happens, I can put them both back down to 40 psi and it will be level.

Our situation sounds the same to me losthope...I'll keep you posted as I check it out. Just got back from camping so I'm gonna relax today...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
tubbedII
needs more $$$

TTT...

Just wondering if anyone ever encountered this and found a fix. I had the BJ's checked out by a "pro" when the alignment was done and they say they are well within specs. The issue is still there and is exactly the same. I would say it definitely is a bind and particularly in the driver front. If I fill the bags to about 40 psi both in the front, the driver side barely comes up while the passenger wheel well goes up to about 1 inch above the tire. If I hit the driver side up again (usually to about 50-60 psi), it will make a thud type noise that sounds very similar to a spring seating itself in the LCA pocket and then go up and down like normal.

Given what the noise sounds like, I've been questioning if it's the cup in the LCA shifting around. I did chop them down when I installed them like everyone else has...just don't see how this would make it act like it's binding as well.

Oh, one last thing..if I fill the driver side to about 40 and it stays low, I have been able grab the fender and lift really hard to make the noise happen and it go to it's normal 40 psi height. Haven't done that since paint though.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
naynay

post some pics... it sounds like the cup moving around. have you tried removing the bag and try another? or remove to inspect it at least.
naynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

I've actually got the same problem. I thought it was the cup moving in the lower spring pocket like stated above, so I secured it from the bottom of the A arm. Still have the same issue. It's not binding, in my case it's the bag popping back down over itself when it builds pressure. I don't really get it because the alignment of the bag top to bottom is the same as the passenger side and it's kinda random. My guess is you've got Dominators up front. I've actually thought of switching to SS bags to try and find a remedy.

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
kev2809
low n' slo

Maybe try swappng that bag to the rear or with the other bag and see if it still pops
Posted via Mobile Device

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
STPrider

I have the exact same thing, and I also assumed it was the bag cup seating in the LCA. I've heard of how the bag sticks to itself when it sits aired out too long, but mine has already risen by the time it pops.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
T Smith

Sway bar binding up?
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
mailman

I have the same problem also.I think when the truck is aired out ,the angle of the bags may have something to do with it.And when they fill up at that angle it causes them to pop or unbind when they get to a certain pressure. I plan on tearing mine down making adjustments to bag plates and see what happens.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Wow...glad I re-asked this since I'm not the only one. So do all of you having this issue have DOM's like me?

Naynay, sorry, no pics but I didn't see the slightest movement in the lower cup when the noise occured...so I'm hoping to be able to rule that out.

stevencvn72, if you ever do, please post back! The main thing I like about the DOMs though is that to get to ride height in my blazer it only requires about 45 PSI in the front. I hear SS's take a little more pressure. Guess it's really no big deal, but outside of the DOMs being cheaper, it was why I went with them instead of the SSs.

T Smith, I know it's not the sway in my case as I don't have it installed yet.

Hopefully over the weekend, I can set my phone up to take a clean video of the bage as it cycles up and I'll post it to see if anyone can catch what I'm clearly missing. Thanks all! Sorry to say this, but it makes me feel better that I'm not alone here...haha
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
Square_78

I have D2600's in the front of mine. It sits level side to side when aired out at 24.5" at the fender lip. When i hit the front up button, the pass side lifts up about 1.5" before the drivers side starts to move. It does this every time. Everything is the same on each side EXCEPT the pass side air line from the manifold is twice as long. Would that make a difference? There is nothing binding that I can see. I have the accuair eLevel without the height sensors installed yet. I dont have pressure guages so I cant see what the pressure is.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
STPrider

Not sure, I have the elevel too, and also don't have the height sensors in yet, and haven't noticed this problem. I even have a bunch of extra weight on the driver's side (compressor, tank, valves, me lol). I saw that you've welded the bag cups into the LCA's, if one of them were different from the other by less than a cm it could cause this..
Old 04-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
tubbedII
needs more $$$

It's probably the line bring longer. From full drop the lines are pretty much empty so it's going to take more volume to see a pressure increase in that bag. To test, get the front at the same height and then push the front up at the same time. It will probably go up evenly then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
Square_78

I talked to Reno at Accuair. He says line length makes little to no difference and its either something binding up at full drop, or a sticking valve or bad airline or bag fitting... Im going to do some more troubleshooting tomorrow if it stops raining. I dont have my height sensors in yet either. So far ive determined that nothing is binding so its something else.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
STPrider

could it be that your bags are in slightly different positions in the LCA's? I.e. if the bag was further out, uses less pressure to lift, if further in, more pressure to lift, because of leverage differences
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #23
Square_78

No, they are welded in 8 inch x 3 inch cups into the control arms. Both arms are exactly the same.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #24
tubbedII
needs more $$$

So I've finally been able to confirm that it IS the bag itself. When it fully deflates, the bag overlaps itself on the metal mounting plates. The "pop" noise must just ring through the suspension to make it sound like a bind.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #25
STPrider

Thanks for finding that out for us and posting! much appreciated