The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
whitedog76

Cooper Discoverer AT3's

I just bought some Discoverer AT3's on my truck. I am impressed with them right out of the gate.

I was wanting some AT tires for my 09 truck. The factory tires were a HT style highway tire. After 70,000 miles, I had enough of them. They handled poor, didn't ride will, and had very little traction in anything. Considering I have a 4x4 truck I can't believe they ever came out of the factory with them on.

I initially was going for the Firestone Destination AT or Bridgestone Duelers. I have Firestones on my Trailblazer and have been more than pleased with them.

I got talked into the Coopers, mainly because they were $20 cheaper per tire than the Firestones. I was initially skeptical. Well, that skepticism went away after the first drive. They handle great, ride great, and have excellent traction in snow, mud, and slush.

I know they aren't Pit Bulls or Mickey Thompsons, but they definately fill the void between a "modern" AT and a mud tire.

If you have a daily driver that sees some questionable conditions, BUY THESE TIRES!

http://www.cooperdiscoverer.com/details.aspx
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
i82much

Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3's

I know some people think of the Cooper name as being somehow generic, but it's really not. Cooper makes some tires that are every bit as good as comparable Goodyears or BFG's. I'd put the STT in the same class as the KM, the ST Maxx in the same class as the Duratrac, the AT3 in the same class as the AT KO.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
whitedog76

First of all, my dad is a Cooper tire dealer. I've seen alot of products come and go through the shop. These by far are the best.

I'd actually put these tires up against a set of STT and STT Maxx tires. I'm pretty sure the AT3's will out perform them. The only thing the STT and STT Maxx have going for them are their looks. Same goes for the AT KO's, all looks.

The Cooper website doesn't do the AT3 any justice. The ireggular tread pattern, saw tooth pattern between the ribs, and all the siping make them killer.

There's a close up on my photobucket.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/wh...00707359251958
Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
JJH Jimmy

I have a set of ST Maxx's on my 2011 Duramax. I like them a lot but, i know i will not get nowhere near 60,000 miles out of them as the Michelins that came on the truck. They are a little bit noisy but what do you expect for a nobby tire? I think that my next set will be the AT3's.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
whitedog76

They do have a little more noise than the Generals that I took off. But hey, I'm going from a HT tire to an AT. That's to be expected. The extra noise isn't really noticable if you have the radio on or noisy kids in the back. So, it's minimal to say the least.

The tires are still new, I may have 1000 mile on them. We'll have to see how things go.

I'm pretty sure you can get the AT3 in a C and E rating, which will do your Duramax proud. I think you'll be happy with them.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

We had a set of Discoverer ATRs (older design, I know) on my wife's Tacoma and was disappointed in their snow performance as well as their tread life. Hopefully the AT3s are a marked improvement.... they look pretty good and you seem happy with them so far. I hope they continue to impress and that they hold up well over time.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
tommartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I just bought some Discoverer AT3's on my truck. I am impressed with them right out of the gate.

I was wanting some AT tires for my 09 truck. The factory tires were a HT style highway tire. After 70,000 miles, I had enough of them. They handled poor, didn't ride will, and had very little traction in anything. Considering I have a 4x4 truck I can't believe they ever came out of the factory with them on.

I initially was going for the Firestone Destination AT or Bridgestone Duelers. I have Firestones on my Trailblazer and have been more than pleased with them.

I got talked into the Coopers, mainly because they were $20 cheaper per tire than the Firestones. I was initially skeptical. Well, that skepticism went away after the first drive. They handle great, ride great, and have excellent traction in snow, mud, and slush.

I know they aren't Pit Bulls or Mickey Thompsons, but they definately fill the void between a "modern" AT and a mud tire.

If you have a daily driver that sees some questionable conditions, BUY THESE TIRES!

Cooper Tire Ride-N-Drive A/T3 Tires - YouTube

http://www.cooperdiscoverer.com/details.aspx
awesome, what size and price?
tommartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
whitedog76

P265/70/17

I got them for $130, which is dealer price. I mounted them and balanced them myself, so There wasn't any extra cost.

The Firestones were $147 dealer cost.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
tommartin

17s? what do you have them on? Do you have any pictures?

I was looking for a 35x12.50x15 and I didn't see any Cooper ATs in that size
tommartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
whitedog76

It's on an 09 Crew Cab.

BTW- it's got a blue oval on the front. SHHH.... Don't tell anybody!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
i82much

Quote:
I'd actually put these tires up against a set of STT and STT Maxx tires. I'm pretty sure the AT3's will out perform them. The only thing the STT and STT Maxx have going for them are their looks. Same goes for the AT KO's, all looks.
I am sorry but there is no way any all-terrain is going to keep up with an STT in mud. The bottom line for mud is going to be mostly the size of the voids which are what allows for wheelspin to throw the mud out.

AT KO's are fantastic tires, btw. I don't know where you got that from either.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I am sorry but there is no way any all-terrain is going to keep up with an STT in mud. The bottom line for mud is going to be mostly the size of the voids which are what allows for wheelspin to throw the mud out.

AT KO's are fantastic tires, btw. I don't know where you got that from either.
I gotta agree with both statements. I've had BFG AT KOs on my K20 for several years. Not a great mud tire, nor is it designed to be. But it is a great all-terrain tire with a well deserved reputation.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #13
whitedog76

I ran some BFG AT's on a Dodge truck. They did have good dry/wet traction. Gummed up in mud though. I thought they were a bit noisey and had spongey handling, just like the Trail TA's that came on my Trailblazer. Not a huge fan of BFG's.

That's just my $.02 worth.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
i82much

Quote:
I ran some BFG AT's on a Dodge truck. They did have good dry/wet traction. Gummed up in mud though. I thought they were a bit noisey and had spongey handling, just like the Trail TA's that came on my Trailblazer. Not a huge fan of BFG's.

That's just my $.02 worth.
I run them as winter tires. Way better than a mud tire in the winter, but still a little suspect on ice. Great in packed snow. They also hold up offroad a lot better than some alternatives, like Duratracs.