The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
tattooboy37

Rochester 2g flooding at idle speed

283 engine w/ Rochester 2 jet. Truck has always started and had no problems until recently. it has a manual choke assembly and when I pull the choke on and start it everything is fine but when I disengage choke the idle slows down and gas starts to eventually flow out of the hole on top of carb.(hole is just inside air intake area in front of air filter stud.) I also noticed the choke valve seems stuck open and choke shaft wont budge. not sure if it has always been this way while it was running fine because air filter assembly has been in place.
the only thing I did was remove an inline filter and the carbs intake fuel filter (checked youtube to make sure it went back the same way) and now it floods after running great at higher speeds. it also will continue to run if I disengage choke and manually engage throttle when I start seeing gas wanting to spill.
I honestly don't know if the choke is even engaging since the choke valve/plate doesn't move but it idles supper fast like it is working until I force it back.

Last edited by tattooboy37; 10-17-2013 at 06:57 PM.
tattooboy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
tattooboy37

Re: Rochester 2g flooding at idle speed

no ideas?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Green Hornet

Sounds like when you changed the fuel filter you may have gotten some debris in the needle/seat. Best bet is to clean the carb, check float level as well. If the problem persists I would change the needle/seat and possibly the float if it is deteriorated.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Agree with above and also replace all the filters. I've had one where the needle valve would bind and not seat properly also. I had to whack it with a wooden stick until I decided to rebuild it.

Take it apart and give it a good cleaning. These are not difficult carbs to rebuild.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Green Hornet

Currently battling the same carb on mine. Float is deteriorated and needle/seat is worn. Causes the carb to overflow a few minutes after shutting it off. Stops when the fuel pressure goes down. Updating the engine soon so no need to fix at the moment.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
18436572GMC

Like all the others have said, get a rebuild kit with a new needle and seat and set the float to the proper level.

1972 GMC, K25, 383 stroker, SM465, NP205, Eaton HO-72
18436572GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
zeldman

I agree, it sounds like debris in the needle and seat. An old trick is to try pinching the rubber fuel line with pliers, careful not to crush the line, just enough to stop the fuel flow. Have some one start the engine, and just before the engine dies, take off the pliers. Sometimes the fuel pressure will wash what ever is in the seat, and it might return to normal. Also another old trick is to take a wooden hammer handle and tap lightly but solidly on the fuel inlet. I emphasize using the wood end. That might dislodge the debris as well. Or, just take the carb off and rebuild it. Be sure to replace the float, but check and make sure that if has clear movement. Just a little interference will cause it to stick and flood out. And a sticking float may be your problem. Lastly, and most importantly, what ever you do always check and double check for fuel leaks. The Rochester 2GC is a great carb and done right will deliver decent fuel mileage.
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
tattooboy37

Thanks for all the answers guys. they all seem pretty much the same and after watching some videos it doesn't seem too difficult to clean/rebuild. they go thru every step and i'm pretty mechanical, just nervous of changing any settings cause I sure don't know how to adjust things. just what they cover online. I will open her up and check float and seat.

I have all hard line so I cant do the plier test but sure would like to try it. I need the lesson on the carb anyway so I might as well learn a thing or two. I have a 63 t-bird that has been sitting and needs the carb done as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooboy37 View Post
....I have all hard line so I cant do the plier test but sure would like to try it. I need the lesson on the carb anyway so I might as well learn a thing or two. I have a 63 t-bird that has been sitting and needs the carb done as well.
Some people suggest air pressure but regardless of what you do, if there's debris in the carb it's bound to give you trouble again. Rebuilding will take care of that.

Get at least two cans of carb cleaner and be sure and replace the filters. I have a filter coming out of the tank under the truck since I removed the sock on the sending unit and replace it and the carb filter about every six months or so.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 10-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I agree with something keeping the needle open. I once changed a filter on my car and when I screwed the fitting back in, I must have sheared a thread off. That tiny sliver of metal got stuck in the needle and I had to keep revving the engine at the red lights to keep it running.

I'd start there.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
tattooboy37

Well I got it running again w/out the flooding issue. I had to take it apart 3 times before it would operate normally. The needle/seat looked good, but did not have the little clip thingy the guy mentioned online, from needle to float. supposed to help it from binding I guess. anyway I am still waiting for the rebuild kit but wanted to see what was up while I waited. I'll pull the whole thing apart once the kit gets here to replace gaskets ect. , since it started to seep a bit of gas after I removed the top a few times. thanks again for all the help and yes these carbs seem very simple and less intimidating now.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
68gmsee

Actually the spring for the needle valve is to lift the needle valve off the seat when the bowl is low to let more fuel in. I have seen some carbs that had it missing but I always install it. Just make sure that it's installed correctly on the float cause it could cause the needle valve to not seat properly.