The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Griffin

Dana 44 rear axle? Stock or not? Please help!!!

I have a 57 chevy 1/2 ton that is pretty damn stock. The one thing that confuses me is that it has a Dana 44 rear axle. i've looked all over the board at other people's truck and haven't seen one like it. It's a 6 lug Dana 44, the right width, with stock looking spring perches. was this ever an option on the 55-59 trucks?????????????????? is it just someone else's swap in????????????? Everyrthing else is bone stock.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Dana 44 rear axle? Stock or not? Please help!!!

Probably a swap, Chevy rear spring width has been pretty consistent over the years, I believe by design so things can be swapped around. There are a lot of other things that just "happen" to fit, I can't believe the design engineers aren't looking at consistency so tooling costs are kept to a minimum. On my 59 the 74 front and rear axles bolted right on to the original springs without any problems or modifications except for the shock hangers to frame.

Last edited by OrrieG; 06-28-2010 at 12:41 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Griffin

OrrieG,

I was assuming it was a swap, but i don't know of any other Dana 44 6 lug applications. Chevy's had the Eatons, 12 bolts, and 10 bolts in 6 lug. IH Scouts had a Dana 44 about this width but it was 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I just don't know where it came from. Plenty of Danna 44 rear axles out there but i just don't know of any 6 lug so i thought it might be some wierd option.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
raycow

GMC trucks used Dana rears for many of the same applications where Chevy had Eaton. AFAIK, those Danas are a direct swap into Chevy trucks, so it is very likely that's what you have. One possible reason for swapping the Dana was to get highway-friendlier gearing.

Apart from the expected parts differences, the Dana also uses different brake drums. This often drives partspeople nuts who think that Chevy and GMC are the same. If you ever need to replace a drum, be sure to bring your old one as a sample.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
OrrieG

I learn something new everytime I come here. Which helps to offset what I am loosing in other parts of my brain. Thanks for the clarificatin Ray
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
yossarian19

I found this in a search and figure somebody else might, too, so here's a "back from the dead" thread post.
Full size Jeep Wagoneers had six lug Dana 44 axles @ about 62" wide.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
67GMCkid

Late 60's GMC's used a 6 lug Dana 44 With leaf springs most came with 354 gears.. My kid hoards these rears when he finds them.. They also use a race on the axle bearings and don't fill themselves with grindings like the latter Dana junk does.

These measure approx. 57' backing plate to backing plate and around 42"center to center on the mounting pearch...
As Ray mentioned the difference in drums,, the ebrake cables are also much different than their Chevy counterpart.

Last edited by 67GMCkid; 03-20-2016 at 03:58 PM.
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
roger55

It's not stock.

My '57 pickup has a Dana 44 in it as well and was in it when I purchased it.
When I pulled it out to rebuild and started to clean, I noticed a hand written marking on it that said "'65 GMC". Obviously a wrecking yard marking done in white paint.

I had it rebuilt and installed a new trac-lok posi unit in it and new 3.54 gears. It's a good rear end as parts are readily available for them. Except for the brake drums however as they have been discontinued. I had to modify new Jeep drums to get a replacement set.

You are correct that the width of this rear is perfect for 55-59. But the spring perches have to be redone as the original ones are about 1/4" off on each side. Whoever originally installed this rear tried to make it work without modifying the perches and it was pretty sloppy. I bought new ones and did it right.

Last edited by roger55; 03-20-2016 at 07:56 PM.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
roger55

Oh and one more thing. The way the e-brake cable connects to the brake backing plate is different than stock. You either have to modify the backing plates or get custom e-brake cables. I chose the former. I used the mounts of an old set of backing plates I had as donors.
I've got details with photos on everything I did in my build thread.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
whitedog76

You may have a Dana 45, not a 44. It's a distance cousing to the 44, looks pretty much the same. Parts are just about unatainable. I believe you can use the 44 gears and dff, but have to use a stack of shims.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
roger55

Here's what mine looked like as purchased:

Here's that sloppy job of making it fit with it 1/4" off on each side at the perches:

Removed the shock brackets as they aren't used and welded on new perches in the correct location:

Epoxy primered:

Backing plates during modification for e-brake cable style. First pick shows the GMC style mount and the cable differences. The new one is the Chevy replacement cable. Second pic shows donor plate.

Installed:

Old 03-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #12
Nev68

Similar to the unit in our 56

I had the axles changed from 6 to a 5 stud Chevy pattern that matches the Jaguar pattern for the IFS hat is now fitted

You can decode the numbers on the housing, it may help you with the origin.
Here's some decoding info

http://www.differentials.com/technic...identification
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...ana_axle.shtml
http://www.nationwideparts.com/differentials.htm

Need a bigger garage so I can keep more cool cars alive

My build, a long way to go.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595909
Nev68 is offline   Reply With Quote