The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
58CameoAZ

Flat Out Front Fit in a 58-9?

OK, So i have the Flat Out Front Suspension kit for the Front of my 58 Cameo
and i had the Front cross member tacked in (and i used the 27-1/2" from front of the frame Back to center line per F/O's Instruction's) i mocked up the Front fender on the Cab and using the stock Corvette wheel and tire i was looking at the wheel centered in the fender and it looks like it might be (to Me) a little bit forward and need's to come back maybe! ( Sorry i know i need to get pic's posted for you guys to look at and i will) BUT are there any 58 59 Guys out there that have used flat out front kit and anyone have any pics of there front wheels centered in the opening
Jim (Gotmotors) wheels look GREAT but i am dealing with a 58 Fender and right now all i have is the stock corvette wheel to go off of to center the wheel in the opening and thinking it might not look right ( again i will try and get pics this weekend to show you guys what i am dealing with!.
just wondering if there any pics of a 58 59 with the Flat Out kit installed and how the wheels look in the opening (Maybe i am over analyzing this?)
Thanks
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Flat Out Front Fit in a 58-9?

Allen,

The fenders have nothing to do with the wheel base. The 55-59 standard half-ton 3100 series had a 114" wheelbase, which it shared with the Cameo. My truck started out as a 1958 and I did my IFS install with building a 1958 in mind and later switch the front end to a 55 and my wheels are still centered no matter what front end I used. I say center your wheels at the ride height you like and go from there. Mock up is everything, just tack it where you think it should be, hang fenders, step back and have a look, once it looks good to you go for it. It does not matter if its a flat out kit, mustang 2, super ride, etc. Installing these aftermarket cross members are basically the same.

Here is a pic of the 58 fenders and the 55 fenders on my truck.

58 Fenders

55 Fenders

Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
OrrieG

58-59 frame rails are about 2.5 - 3" longer in front of the spring shackles to accomodate the longer fenders. Wheel base and radiator mount is the same as earlier models. If the instructions are for a 55.5 -57 and you measured from the end of the frame rail (I think that is what you are saying) that might be the issue.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

The the extra length of the 58-59 frame rails does not affect the wheel base or the instructions usually. The instructions are usually uniformed to the 55-59 trucks and they don't use the front of the frame horn for that reason. They usually use the front spring hole which would be the same for 55-59 to make the instruction work for all task force trucks. Like this.

Even if they did use the front frame horns you should never use the instructions like they are set in stone and start welding, do the mock up and put that crossmember where you like it, if you have to move it up or back a little so be it. I only use the instructions as a starting point. I even used a metal tubing as a mock up once when some one rebuilt the front end of the frame and lost of the reference points. I hung the fenders and use a long piece of tubing until it was centered in the wheels marked that as the center line and proceeded.

Here that installed

All I'm saying is do the mock up and make sure its how you like it before you weld it in. Even that 114 wheel base is not set in stone (the rearend could be a little off who knows?), hang those fenders and do the mock up. Mock up is everything. Mock up for looks and measure to make sure its square and you are good to go.

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-12-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
tmoble

What Bam said. mock it up and see how it looks to you. All you have to have is the cab, one front fender and a wheel/tire. tack lightly and look twice or three times. Look with the light coming from different directions including straight down.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
izonme13

The wheelbase may need to be extended depending on how the front wheels center the wheel well. The 58 frame I have is 2 3/8" longer than my 56 frame. Good luck!!
izonme13 is offline   Reply With Quote