The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
peglegs

help please new engine race's when started

First start up on my rebuilt engine it race’s up to aprox. 3500 rpm? no tach.….back to idol up again back down to idol then i shut it off.

rebuilt 90 4.3 v/6, roller cam, after market HEI, electric fuel pump (not intank), changed fuel pump from a fixed 7 psi , said it was adjustable, to the one i have now that is adjustable fuel guage reads 3 ½ psi.

* visually no vacuum leak anywhere afraid to run it & spray carb cleaner to see if
engines rpm increase’s.

*#1 cyl was at TDC with pressure, timing mark on “0”, rotor at #1 spark plug.

* re-adjusted floats on new edlebrock.

im thinking its either the dizzy off or a vacuum leak somewhere if dizzy was off would it cause it race that high rpm?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: help please new engine race's when started

Throttle is stuck open or you have a massive vacuum leak.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Straight up....I would bet an air leak. Vacuum does not leak ....it is the air that leaks into the vacuum system? Just messin with you guys on "terminology".... I probably did not spell it all properly, so feel free to toss it back Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
peglegs

given the symptom of immediate rise in rpm to about 3500 then to idol then back up is this what a bad seal, open port etc would do ? if i remove an intake manifold plug & applied an air pressure nozel with 50lbs????? 100lbs????how much pressure????? duct tape off the top of carb i guess will this work????? thanks for the response's folks
Old 12-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

The air pressure in the intake probably wouldn't tell you much since you would have to have the valves closed also. Only way you can do that is to loosen all the rockers.

A vacuum "leak" (sorry c.l. ) may be the intake manifold gasket, p.b. booster or automatic tranny modulator if you have one. First thing I would do is to plug all ports on the carb even the vacuum advance and plug the p.b booster and tranny on the intake and see if it changes anything.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
peglegs

parts house where i got my electric fuel pump suggested i needed a pressure regulator even though the write up states one is not needed.......installed one today.....nothing changed still races. yes i did find a port open on the back of the manifold carb risor & plugged it.....nothing changed WTH (what the hell) it still races.

trans is a 7004r .......no modulator????? is there some sort of vacuum line to it.

folks im an amateur at this & know a little about alot & enough to make me dangerous im at wits end here why does this engine race???????

68gmsee, i will plug all the ports tomorrow & if no change then may remove & reseal intake.......i did look at the front & rear intake seal areas with a mirror & most all sealant squirted out with very small areas that did not....those rails are pretty skinny to make a seal on the 4.3

Last edited by peglegs; 12-11-2014 at 11:30 PM.
peglegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

This thing have a carb on it now? Or factory FI?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
peglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
The air pressure in the intake probably wouldn't tell you much since you would have to have the valves closed also. Only way you can do that is to loosen all the rockers.

A vacuum "leak" (sorry c.l. ) may be the intake manifold gasket, p.b. booster or automatic tranny modulator if you have one. First thing I would do is to plug all ports on the carb even the vacuum advance and plug the p.b booster and tranny on the intake and see if it changes anything.
68gmsee tried blocking off all carb ports......no change still race

taking off the intake this afternoon to reseal

GASoline71 new edlebrock 500cfm readjusted the floats 1 was off 1/4" no
change
cableguy used a remote starter to start linkage free.......accelerator pump free

Last edited by peglegs; 12-12-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
peglegs

ok ok now im really lost at wits end i started it after resealing the intake it was barely running.... hopped out of the cab to turn the distributor as soon as i budged it the rpm's soared.......coincedence or ????? something with the distributor?
Old 12-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
crazy longhorn

I have to ask? I see that you are running a carb on that "mill"....did you also opt for the old school HEI? Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
peglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
I have to ask? I see that you are running a carb on that "mill"....did you also opt for the old school HEI? Longhorn
long horn i bought it online from Skip White
Old 12-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #12
crazy longhorn

It still sounds to me that you have a big air leak somewhere....brake clean, or starting fluid (carefully), will find it? longhorn
Old 12-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #13
peglegs

longhorn thats where im really concerned i would have done that way back but on a new rebuild not broken in & letting it race 3500 rpm up ? given its a roller cam but im concerned if i have done damage this far
Old 12-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
peglegs

it was suggested that if the centrifugal advance springs were to light it would cause my problem with racing ????
Old 12-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
cableguy0

theres nothing to damage by the engine turning 3500rpm. There really is no break in and you cant hurt anything as long as it has oil pressure. Let it run so you can figure out whats going on. Make sure the choke is working and releasing like it should. Get a timing light on it and make sure it isn't just advancing a large amount. You have the cheapest lowest quality Chinese distributor money can buy. It wouldn't remotely surprise me if its not working properly.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
peglegs

cableguy ty i suspected something with the distributor since i resealed the intake . b-4 i removed the intake i again rechecked top dead center, rotor position etc. & it was right on im so paranoid about this extreme racing im contemplating a new distributor b-4 i try your suggestion. this engine, being rebuilt, was down to the bare block i had a lot suggesting massive leak & cant find anything that may be missing ie: a plug, old sensor etc. but im going to look again with a mirror.

cableguy i see your looking for a project to bad you dont live out this way you could almost choose your year, color & engine within a few short weeks. any trip into town, im out in the country, i will see a dozen or more 60's & 70's pick ups
Attached Images

Last edited by peglegs; 12-14-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #17
cableguy0

Are you sure it isn't up on high idle from the choke? If you hit the throttle does the speed come down. Is the choke opening?

No funding right now for a project even if I could find something. Problem around here is cheap trucks are completely rotted. Snow and salt take their toll on metal over 40-50yrs.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
peglegs

i held the choke open with a screw driver wouldnt that eliminate the high idol ?
Old 12-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegs View Post
i held the choke open with a screw driver wouldnt that eliminate the high idol ?
No definitely not. the high idle is done through the carb linkage. you have to hit the throttle to kick it down from high idle. There is a separate high idle adjustment. It could be way too high but still should come down once you kick it off high idle by opening the throttle.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
peglegs

i backed off the fast idol & throttle linkage once to eliminate that & it still raced was i on the right track ?

by backing off was wrong should i have turned in to contact the cam?
Old 12-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #21
cableguy0

Did it actually kick down though? On a vehicle with electric choke. pump the gas to set the choke. Start the truck. Once the idle speed starts rising hit the gas again and speed should fall.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #22
peglegs

tried it twice no luck thanks again
Old 12-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #23
peglegs

reset all the carb linkage according to Edleberocks rebuild instructions sheet most all were off considerably, reinstalled RPM'S spiked again
Old 12-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #24
77 350 Shorty Wide

This may be a silly question. Is the intake for a square bore carb or spread bore?

God Bless, Terry

P.S. have been watching this thread from the beginning.
77 350 Shorty Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
peglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 350 Shorty Wide View Post
This may be a silly question. Is the intake for a square bore carb or spread bore?

God Bless, Terry

P.S. have been watching this thread from the beginning.

ty for the reply terry its not .