The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Alex V.

Snowpocalypse in a 'Burb

Seeing the forecasts last Sunday evening, I pulled the 'Burb into the shop and fixed a leaky rubber fuel line, tweaked a few other things (dwell and timing were wayyy off) and put my Cruze in its place in the lean-to - I knew the car wasn't going anywhere in a foot of snow. Well, I had the bright idea to make the most of the time off from the farm work and put word out on Facebook that I was interested in plowing snow around town... which I intended to do with my '61 Economy garden tractor, which can handle a foot of fluffy snow in a pinch. Well, then we got a foot of heavy snow Monday, followed by another 4" Tuesday and heavy drifting late in the day Wednesday. Talking to my boss Monday evening, he offered for me to borrow his brand new (15 hrs. on the meter) New Holland Workmaster 75 for the work, and it's a good thing I did - I put 26 hours on it from Tuesday to Friday, and have been going from 8 to 6 that whole time just trying to keep up with the plowing jobs. My C3500 wasn't going anywhere in this, either, so the 'Burb was my only bet for getting around in this mess. Only got it stuck once, Wednesday morning in my boss' driveway with a little 5x10 trailer behind me. :P (I could still move a few feet, but it made more sense to just pull it out with the NH.) Being in it all week reminds me why I've seriously considered immaculately restoring it, selling the Cruze, and making it my all-in-one DD.

Hope everyone else in this region has stayed safe in the weather and had some fun with the snow.

Playing around in the unplowed church lot with my buddy in his
89 E-150.

Artsy picture - left it running on old Main st. in Campbellsville while I picked up some coffee before going over to the tractor across town.

A pic the owner of the coffee shop took and put on their FB page while I was in warming up. Felt great to drive the tractor into 2 feet of sludgy, plowed snow on the side of the street and crawl right back out of it without a thought.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #2
Average Joe

Re: Snowpocalypse in a 'Burb

Cool Pix! Thanks for sharing. We need some of that white stuff out west.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Alex V.

If I had control over it I'd gladly send ya some! Talking to the mayor the other night in a restaurant, IIRC he said the city's snow equipment roster consists of 2 single-axle plow trucks and two backhoes - for a city of 11,000 people, it's probably apparent how abnormal it is for this area to get anywhere near this much snow.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Cool!

Yea, we here out west are begging for a heavy snow fall in the mountains. Mainly because we are in a severe drought, and snow in the mountains is better than rain showers. Also not to mention the ski industry could sure use a good snow pack up there.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote