The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Infrared Heaters

Who has used these and what is your impression/experience? So they heat objects, not the air. Do the objects heat the air? I'm trying to get a feel (heh heh, no pun there) for the kind of comfort they provide. And I'm talking about in the living room, den, or whatever room you hang out in.

I live in a mid-19th century house, main part is log. I've done a lot to make it more cozy. On the exterior of the log part I framed 2x4 walls, insulated, foam sealed edges, Tyvek, etc. It has a lot of insulative mass considering the thick log walls are nestled inside of the jacket. I primarily heat with wood, but that's too warm until winter sets in. At either end of the heating season I use Inter-therm baseboard electric. It's soft heat... oil filled. It works well but sure ain't cheap. My house could still use new windows and tighter insulation under the main floor. There are still drafts. I'd like to get spray foam insulation to really tighten the floor up. The floor "joists" are log beams spaced wider than 24", are not as tall as the same length lumber joists would be (have 5.5" fiberglass), and are rounded on the sides. I was thinking in the mean time about trying an infrared heater, possibly in addition to the other heat, or hopefully in place of. My square footage is within what they claim the heaters I've looked at will cover. But, I'm not sure how well they heat objects that are around corners, through doors, in other rooms, etc.

So, what's it like? Does it warm the walls, floor, couch, coffee table, and you, while the room air remains cool? Or is the effect a warm atmosphere? I realize it will probably use the same amount of electric, being 1500w. Am I right there? Right now our weather can be around 60 high/30s low. I just use the big heater in the L/R set to barely on and at night I kick the kitchen (adjacent) and Laundry one (through parlor/through doorway), turn the L/R up some at night. If it's 40s-50s at night I don't change anything and do the above when I get up till I leave in the morning to take the chill off. Once it's colder all day and freezing or lower at night they all go on and don't click off. Each has it's own thermostat. I use nothing upstairs, as the heat rises just fine. I have really low ceilings, too. Attic is insulated and holds heat in fine.

Long post, hopefully could be followed. I'd like to what others say.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
65 C20

Re: Infrared Heaters

Hi Tim.
We have been using one for a few years now and like it.
It actually heats up the whole room, air , not just the objects.
I think they are rated for 1000 sq. ft.
We use it upstairs on the main living floor leaving the bedroom doors closed as we like it cooler in the bedrooms. I actually leave the bedroom window cracked open 24/7.
It will keep the living room dining room kitchen warm.
I would say for what you are looking for it should work good.
They have their limitations but like you said when it gets colder thats when you start up the wood stove.
Would I buy another one ? Yes.

Cal.
65 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I have one ,,larger than you need 4500 Watts ,,but what it did for me is that when I was out in my shop and didn't want to build a fire for couple hours work or less,, plus ,, to heat the whole shop was not practical ..

I would sit the heater at different distances as how warm I wanted it from what I was working on and it was plenty of heat,, they say that they do not heat the air,,but they must as once I left the heater on all night and next day it was nice and warm in the whole shop...

So,,, the heater you have will do good and if needed just move it closer or further for the comfort you want.. .
Old 11-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Thanks, Larryy. I didn't know they made appliances more than 1500w. I said 1500 because I thought that was the max for any appliance. Not that I'm an expert. The only experience I've had with one was in a friend's shop. It sure didn't heat his shop those nights. I only felt warn standing close to it and it was only the side facing it, which is what all heaters do. I'm sure his made far too few BTUs for the area. I have a great kerosene heater I used back before the house was so tightened up. It was a life saver, but would be expensive these days to use daily. The house had two propane wall heaters and a Franklin-style woodstove. The downstairs heater was on the upper half of the wall and the other was directly above it at the top of the steps. Whoever installed those sure didn't understand how heat works. How did they expect the floor, or even couch level to be heated? There was no point in the upstairs one. All the heat went upstairs from the one directly below. I sold that thing. Both the heaters and the stove relied on electric for blowers, so I felt I was paying double energy bills. The insert woodstove is a bad design. The face is the only surface exposed to living space and that is the coolest part. All that radiant heat was going up the chimney and the fan was cooling the heat. I now have a free-standing soapstone stove and it is awesome. People always comment on how comfy my house is, no matter how bad it gets outside. The inter-therm is fine at either end of the season. At least in the dead of winter I can go away and not worry about frozen pipes.

When we first moved in here, first of the year, pipes were freezing right and left. There was no insulation under the floor or in the attic. I used that heat tape all over the place and added insulation. I'd like to put an oil furnace in and just run duct work downstairs, at some point. That is real heat, second to wood stove, and I feel the place will hold it in well. I like living the old fashioned way, but I feel like a slave to the woodstove all winter. Going away for the weekend means coming home to a chilly house and it takes a lot of time to heat the mass in the walls, with the insulation outside of the logs

EDIT: Hey Cal. thanks for your info. I somehow skipped right over and missed it yesterday. Sounds like the same size heater I would be considering. I also keep the bedroom doors closed upstairs. I like it cool , too. I only sleep in there and bedding goes with how warm or cold it gets. There is also an unused bedroom, so that door stays shut.

My ground level floor plan is 24' x 16' is the log part with kitchen and living room...just a doorway between. Each has it's own heater. To the rear is the parlor, a 12' x 14' room with woodstove and no other heater. There is an 8' wide opening between that room and living room. Looking into that room, to the right is the door in from the mud room (second door outside/non-heated area) and next to that is the door into a two step down bedroom on a slab. That's my son's room and I figure on that heater to be used. His door open contributes heat to the main area. To the left is the door into the laundry room. There is a heater in there. once in there, to the left is a small full bath that relies on the laundry room heater. There is a small resistance heater on the wall that is there just in case...mostly when taking a shower, but we never use it.

I was thinking use the infrared in the parlor when it's the only source. I have a corner in the living room it could go in if heat was needed closer, or when it gets freaky cold and even wood stove allows drafts to be felt... very rare. Mostly, it would be nice for when I'm away 10-12 hours on a work day and the stove is barely going when I get home. Nice to keep that mass toasty.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-10-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I "had" two of them. One for the house, one for the garage.
Both same model from Northern Tool.
I noticed that they seemed to use quite a bit of electric, not what I expected.
The house one was always plugged into the same spot in the same receptacle.
One day I had to use that spot and unplugged it, and found this.
Needless to say, they both went to the dump.
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Bigdav160

The electrician shouldn't have used the stabs nor the builder grade receptacle.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
The electrician shouldn't have used the stabs nor the builder grade receptacle.
X2 I wish they would outlaw the back stab slots. My parents house almost burned down b/c of them. I went thru entire house and replaced them all with 20 amp recepticals with wire around the side screws. Did the same thing when I bought my house.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

[QUOTE=special-K;7764109]Thanks, Larryy. I didn't know they made appliances more than 1500w.

I still have the one Tim it is 4 tall and I put it in on rollers .. I used in my shop I before I moved to Idaho .. just in case I need to do some machanics in my garage I kept it and wired in a 220 plug just below my breaker box in my garage .. ,,

Mine is a 220 Volt heater .. it heats a pretty good size area ..I remember sitting it back about 8 feet and was able to install my steering wheel where I needed to be in the cab plus under the hood and it kept me warm being in two places with out moving the heater,,but once ouside of the radius ,,it was cold . I remember it cost me $300 for it about 10 years ago ..

20161108_155039.jpg
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I'm pretty confident of my house wiring. It is all new since I've been here. But I'll check the receptacles that would be used just the same. Probably should stay with a quality unit. That would be my next step in research. I see them in isles at Walmart and stock is already mostly depleted. Cheap, but not sure how good they are.

Larry, that'll work! That's a biggun. When I was in my friend's shop using his was during an arctic blast that brought single digit temps. Also, it hadn't been on until after we were in there a while. It was the type for a shop, but not as big as yours.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-10-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

If nothing else, I have learned to quit using the stabs on the recepticle.I'm buying better quality and redoing mine now. Wow that's scary.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote