The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Cab replacement questions...

My '78 K30 is rusted badly. No surprise there here in South Dakota. Well, I recently checked with the county Treasurer's office (they handle vehicle licensing here) because I was thinking of just replacing the cab. I found out that in order to legally replace the cab and apply for a new title I would need the titles of BOTH vehicles, fill out an affidavit and submit BOTH titles to the state to apply for a new title. Makes things interesting seeing as most parts trucks and cabs are sold without titles. So, my curious question is.... What are the laws in other states? I am very curious on this.

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong area, please move it as you see fit.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:25 AM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: Cab replacement questions...

I'm doing a frame swap on my 84 that's not legal cause numbers wont match.....if I was u I would buy a cab with a title
Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
cadillac_al

My state REFUSES to mess with any title over 25 years old. Even if you have owned the vehicle forever and want a replacement title they won't do it. You can register any vehicle over 25 years old with just a bill of sale.
77 Chevy K10
Old 04-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Nessmuk

I built a fiberglass tubbed keep and had no cereal number in the window. Cops thought it was funny. Back in 89.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
I'm doing a frame swap on my 84 that's not legal cause numbers wont match.....if I was u I would buy a cab with a title
Many states let you merge titles, and make one vehicle out of the two put together. I saw someone do this with a 68 GMC body, and 72 Chevy frame.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
Many states let you merge titles, and make one vehicle out of the two put together. I saw someone do this with a 68 GMC body, and 72 Chevy frame.
in Ca, it doesnt pay to be honest...we did this with my dad's Ford years ago,combined a 73 2 wheel drive, with a 77 4x4 frame the dmv titled it as the year we did the project in 1989....it was ok at first, then when they required that the truck had to be smogged, it is a county decision...no one would touch it.....he finally got the dmv,with help from our congressman to register it as a 73 with a salvaged title in order to get it smogged, took a few months to get it all sorted out....in hindsight, he would have been better off just leaving it registered as a 73 to begin with.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
El Dorado Jim

Bears 63, I would change your cab and take the old vin tag from your old cab and use pop rivets to install it on your new cab and call it a day, I have done this....no big deal, if you try and go through the proper channels, you will get screwed....no cops ever check your vin plate, and the one on my 72K20 was verified by a CHP to get the title ....it has a pop riveted vin tag on it, that is how I bought it, cop never said a word....
Old 04-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

removing the VIN tag is illegal and this site cannot advise or suggest you to do anything illegal... If the law told you to get a cab and title as well as a frame and title then that is where we have to leave it. This topic has been discussed before and you may want to search it, but once its suggested to do anything illegal such as swapping VIN plates , I have to close the thread

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Closed Thread