The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
bandit0067

71 Q jet electric choke wiring.....?

Hey Guys, just drug a 71 clunker home that has been sitting for at least 3 years according to the PO. It has a stock Q jet carb with electric choke....could that be original for that year? I think it is a later add on as I can find no wiring that would plug up.

Question is , how does that choke work electrically. Can I just run an additional wire from the fuse panel that would stay hot in the on and run position all the time. The wiring diagrams I have seen do not show this as an factory wire and was wondering what gage would be needed to supply currant needed. thanks
bandit0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: 71 Q jet electric choke wiring.....?

I believe 81-86 trucks were the ones with non-computer controlled electric choke Quadrajets. Here's what mine looks like in this other thread where we were talking about chokes. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7825067
I have mine connected to key-on 12V from the fuse box with 18 gauge wire. I think anything from 18 gauge to 12 gauge would be fine, although 12 gauge would probably be overkill.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
bandit0067

Re: 71 Q jet electric choke wiring.....?

Thanks dmj, I plan to see how she runs this weekend. The PO said it had some wiring issues.....and I found a new coil installed but wired backwards. So still has points style dizzy installed and that may be not working right. I have a brand new HEI that will go in soon. Will wire in that choke also.
bandit0067 is offline   Reply With Quote