The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
Wv72c10

700r4 issue?

Ok guys this is my first build and it’s been alittle over 3 years. Here is my issue. The motor is a 383 which dynoed at 472hp. The transmission is a B&M 700r4. Inland empire driveshaft and truetrac 3.73 12 bolt.

When sitting in Park the engine sounds awesome revs fantastic but when I put in gear and go for a drive it doesn’t seem to put that power to the ground. Seems like something is holding it back. And I do not know enough to figure it out. Thought about tv cable adjustment but not sure if that would cause these problems. Transmission seems to shift fine under normal load. Just when I get on it there doesn’t seem to be anything there. I know I’m a lurker here but reading your guys post has helped me through a lot with this truck. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wv72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: 700r4 issue?

Clinebarger is certainly the guy to discuss this with.

Have you tried manually shifting it? If so, does it respond differently?

Bowtie Overdrives has an extensive checklist to complete when you install one of their transmissions (including TV adjustment). The checklist is online. You can go through that & it may point you in the right direction.

Not knowing what you have, your cam selection & torque converter can certainly effect performance. But I'm just spitballing at this point.

You could also run it in a chassis dyno to confirm HP/torque curve. Your power may be coming in all on top but may be doggy on the bottom.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
weq92f

I'm certainly no expert on this stuff but...

If you have a ratcheting TV cable mount ( like the one Bow Tie Overdrive markets/sells ), ratchet it all the way so the cable is as tight as possible at closed throttle. Then manually open the throttle all the way to WOT so that it pulls the TV cable and ~probably~ ratchets it back out a click or two or three.

If you don't have the BTO ratcheting type TV mount, pull that cable out ( toward the front of the truck away from the tranny ) as far as you can, then back it off about an inch or two and attach it to your carb throttle ( throttle fully closed ).

Test drive it again. What this should give you, under light just-over-light acceleration from a stop, is a nice crisp shift from 1-2, then a nice smooth shift from 2-3 and then at about 50 or so MPH it should fall into 4th. That should get you in the ~ballpark of proper TV adjustment. Adjust as necessary to get the shifts the way you want.

If it's still not what you think it should be after that, you're probably going to have to have a look at where your torque curve is and the stall on your converter.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
Wv72c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I'm certainly no expert on this stuff but...

If you have a ratcheting TV cable mount ( like the one Bow Tie Overdrive markets/sells ), ratchet it all the way so the cable is as tight as possible at closed throttle. Then manually open the throttle all the way to WOT so that it pulls the TV cable and ~probably~ ratchets it back out a click or two or three.

If you don't have the BTO ratcheting type TV mount, pull that cable out ( toward the front of the truck away from the tranny ) as far as you can, then back it off about an inch or two and attach it to your carb throttle ( throttle fully closed ).

Test drive it again. What this should give you, under light just-over-light acceleration from a stop, is a nice crisp shift from 1-2, then a nice smooth shift from 2-3 and then at about 50 or so MPH it should fall into 4th. That should get you in the ~ballpark of proper TV adjustment. Adjust as necessary to get the shifts the way you want.

If it's still not what you think it should be after that, you're probably going to have to have a look at where your torque curve is and the stall on your converter.

Hth,

-klb
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Wv72c10

Ok guys thank you for responding. I hadn’t thought about trying to manually shift to see what happens. FYI it’s a comp magnum 280 cam and a 2400 stall convertor. It is a ratcheting tv and I will try to adjust to see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device