The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
Sleipnir

Best place to buy a stoker kit

Hi all,

I am looking to see if there is a vendor here or somewhere you recommend to buy a 383 stroker kit from? I am wanting to completely overhaul my 010 4 bolt main block. I am looking for a complete master engine kit because I need a cam and parts to rebuild my 487 heads. So far Ive found Northern Auto Parts have a good price but its an externally balanced crank and I want an internally balanced one. I was also debating on getting a complete 350 master engine kit but I figured with strokers being so cheap why not take advantage of it.
Sleipnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
b454rat

Re: Best place to buy a stoker kit

Try competition products, they have good prices and good selection of parts. Why does it have to be internally balanced? A 400 is external, and that crank is used to make the stroker, but making it internally requires heavy metal which can be expensive. Nothing wrong with externally balanced motor, just make sure the rotating assembly is balanced, as well as new balanced and flex plate. Last couple motors I built were 454s wcich are external as well, no issues and ran smooth as silk all the way to 7k. Just my $.002....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
Sleipnir

Quote:
Originally Posted by b454rat View Post
Try competition products, they have good prices and good selection of parts. Why does it have to be internally balanced? A 400 is external, and that crank is used to make the stroker, but making it internally requires heavy metal which can be expensive. Nothing wrong with externally balanced motor, just make sure the rotating assembly is balanced, as well as new balanced and flex plate. Last couple motors I built were 454s wcich are external as well, no issues and ran smooth as silk all the way to 7k. Just my $.002....
Awesome thank you so much! I was under the impression its better to have an internally balanced crank then external for more power. Would it be ok to use an enginetech kit for a 383 or should I upgrade to a scat rotating assembly? I dont know what kind of power the enginetech kit puts out.

I was looking through and I was thinking of getting this kit:

http://www.competitionproducts.com/E.../#.WfiayhNSzOQ

Not sure what else I would need to rebuild the motor.
Sleipnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There is far more to building an engine, particularly a 383, than just buying a bunch of parts and throwing them together. You need to do some research and plan your build. Do you want low end power? Mid range? or top end? What grade of fuel do you want to run? What is your budget? Is a roller cam in your budget?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Ditto. There is a lot more than engine 'assembly' to being a engine 'builder'.

BEST place is your local trusted machine shop. You can and will find 'cheaper' on the internet... but as local engine builders disappear,,, you know who to blame.

Internal balancing is all you will find in race built 383's... even if they have to chuck the crank in a lathe or mill material off the crank,.. The builder knows WHERE to do the MASSIVE block clearancing (without hitting water) how to shape rod shoulders to clear lobes of even a small base circle crank without compromising integrity, cutting the valve pockets (milling dishes in pistons) deck to set compression for the fuel you plan to use.

In short,, the FIRST time a 383 is built there is a buttload of intelligent, competant machining to be done. If you don't want to build local,, the guys like Blueprint sells COMPLETE stroker engines,,, and do a pretty decent job. Just go in with your eyes wide open... you GET what you PAY for.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
RUN GMC

Another place to look is at Powerhouse kits they used advertise in Hot Rod magazine and they are known for there 383 stoker kits........the link........

http://www.enginekits.com/

http://www.enginekits.com/350-to-383-stroker-kit.html
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Slummit sells a ready to go .030 over 350 roller engine block pre machined to accept a 400 crank with H-beam rods for under $800 bucks.. Ready for a 383 build.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...0-30/overview/

Would still need to be checked for clearances prior to final assembly. Also has the cam bearings installed.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote