The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Can't find the correct fitting.

I'm in a real bind here. Trying to connect the power steering line from the box to the pump and can't find the right fitting. I've been to Home Depot and True value and no luck. I've attached two pictures. The fitting on the left is the one that is in the pump, I removed it to take with me to stores. The fitting in the middle comes off of the steering box and attaches to one end of the line. The fitting I need will connect the fitting on the left(on the pump) to the line on the steering box.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 11-28-2017 at 10:30 PM.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Re: Can't find the correct fitting.

Try NAPA.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Try NAPA.
I found that farm supply stores have a huge selection of fittings.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Do you have a local business that specializes in hydraulics? That is where I would go. You can also find it at Summit Racing. They have a new warehouse in Arlington TX.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:36 AM   #5
'65 chevy lover

Thanks to all for the replys. I'll check them out. I saw the Summit place about a week or so ago and had planned on going by there just to check it out. Now I have a reason to go there besides just to look around...lol
Old 11-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Just so you know what to look for, you are going from an inverted flare (not sure on size) to a AN fitting (looks like a -6 in the pic). This will help you narrow what you are looking for.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
61K10

Like chevy mike said. Go to summit and take the pump fitting. Inverted flare to pump fitting AN to hose as was stated. Summit carries all these type of fittings.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
urmyboyblue

Looks like you need an inverted flare to fit the power steering and an AN or JIC fitting for the hose. Can't tell what sizes from the picture. Note that the difference between AN and JIC are the material that the adapter is made of- AN is aluminum and JIC will be steel. Otherwise, they should interchange. I agree with the above statements- NAPA if they carry hydraulic hose and fittings or any other place that makes hydraulic hoses. Summit may carry them as well. Inverted flares are not used so much in AN stuff- that is what brake lines are but that is going to be bigger than common brakes. You will have better luck with steel fittings from hydraulic hose makers.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
andyh1956

Man you need a Parker store!
Please note that even though AN & JIC are the same dimensionally most places don't speak AN but do speak JIC.
Measure the diameter of your fittings & I can tell you what number they are.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
'65 chevy lover

Thanks again for all the help! First place I went was to the new Summit Racing store. They had the fitting I needed, plus some stuff that I needed but had forgotten about! LOL Man, I could spend 1/2 day in there just wondering around and dreaming..LOL
Old 11-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #11
padresag

what year is your pump from and what year is your box. are you trying to go from metric to sae. just take the fitting from the same year as the box( this is the fitting that goes into the back of the pump). should solve the problem
rom
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #12
Killer Bee

sounds like you've got it handled..

here's some info for future reference, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
true AN [Air Force - Navy] is a 37° flare angle but tighter thread class that industrial JIC [joint industrial council] which is also a 37° flare angle..

explanation here;
AN 37° Flare vs Industrial 37° Flare Fittings: What's the Difference?

SAE [society of automotive engineers] is typically a 45° flare angle and share thread pitches with JIC on smaller sizes EXCEPT -6 and -12 which consequently will not even thread together..

JIC is more common in steel, high pressure hydraulic applications but very plentiful in local fitting houses.. also not as pretty as typical anodized aluminum AN fittings if bling is your thing..

see chart here [scroll down];
FLUID PORT AND CONNECTOR Identification Guide

dash sizes are the number of 1/16 of an inch, for example -4 = 1/4", -8 = 1/2", etc.

true AN is not recommended for mating with JIC so one, the other, or SAE should be used consistently, at least where two fittings mate..

automotive application manufacturers like Earls and Russell will likely have everything for common automotive applications however also likely more expensive that their industrial counterparts.. advantage though is ease of ordering to specific application, small quantities, and user friendly vendors like summit, jegs, etc.

one of the inverted flare to ANM [AN male or same callout in JIC would be JICM] you need might be something like this;

Russell AN to Inverted Flare Fittings 640381

corresponding ANF [female hose ends, typically swivels] should be used to mate.. re-usable style hose ends are preferred where you can disassemble and replace the hose from damage, to change length, etc. and re-use the hose end.. these types are more expensive that industrial style crimp fittings but of course, they are re-usable and crimps of course are not..

hose end swivel fittings typically come in STR straight, 45°, 90°.. some manufactures also offer in between offset angles and even negative to full 180° angle fittings for special reach without additional adapters.. and some manufactures even offer L long 90° and LL extra long 90° where two fitting are in line with each other and one has to reach over the other..

the hose end swivel is the ideal location for the angled fitting over the adapter flare, inverted flare, npt, etc. due to the ability to orient or point the hose the specific direction desired while not having to adjust hard fitting engagement that may not tighten in the direction you need.. most adapters will also be more readily available in straight anyways..

pro-tip; invest in [or borrow] the re-usable fitting assembly tools for the sizes you plan to make up.. they aid in proper assembly, prevent hose flappers, and reduce chances of joint failure.. and simply make assembly much easier, especially for a novice though not required if you're paying attention..

pro-tip; tightly wrap steel braid hose with electrical tape where you plan to cut to minimize fraying which makes assembly more difficult and less reliable..

so once you've identified all of your component fitting callouts, you should be able to mail order just about everything you'll need to make professional quality, custom hose assemblies right in your own garage..

good luck!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #13
'65 chevy lover

Thanks again to all for the information, it's much appreciated!