The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
blazer2007

how would u cut this patch to weld on ?

I trying to fix this rear quarter panel on 78 short box and the rust isn,t to bad ,lots of good metal. If I cut the new patch panel in the green lines I think it would be to hard for me to handle by myself [no help] and get my welds on. I was thinking of cutting the new panel into 3 pieces where the red lines are. Any thoughts or suggestions.
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
MP&C

Re: how would u cut this patch to weld on ?

Install the quarter in it's entirety. Spot welds on the flange will cause little to no warping as compared to your weld seams through the middle of a panel..
Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
StingRay

Agreed. It would be crazy to cut up a whole panel like that. That would be a pile of welding, a ton of warpage and and a helluva lot of hammer and dolly stretching to get it somewhat straight again. Put the whole thing on.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
blazer2007

I was just thinking it would be all floppy trying to get it in the right position
Old 04-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #5
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp&c View Post
install the quarter in it's entirety. Spot welds on the flange will cause little to no warping as compared to your weld seams through the middle of a panel..
x2
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
Bigdav160

Welding that long green line and right angles would likely result in pucker marks needing filler. The wheel house would be in the way to hammer the welds. Whole quarters are easier than you think.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
blazer2007

I was thinking if I flange the top piece and use some cleco,s I have a helping hand to cut and test fit the sides until weld up time. This way I can remove the panel and cut and test fit until I,m happy ,sound good?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
nsb29

Why ask for help on how to do it and then do exactly what everyone is telling you not to do your crazy not to use the complete bedside you are going to have a warped up mess believe what they are telling you
Old 04-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
MP&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I was thinking if I flange the top piece and use some cleco,s I have a helping hand to cut and test fit the sides until weld up time. This way I can remove the panel and cut and test fit until I,m happy ,sound good?
No, actually sound worse. A flanged seam in an open panel like that is prone to ghost lines in your paint, showing exactly where the seam was placed. See the following video, look for the horizontal line in the paint on this dark green tailgate..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGhFEfVqxb0

Your best bet is spot welds around the perimeter, as I said above. If you're worried about the panel flopping around, what exactly do you think is going to happen when you cut all the strength out of what you have now by removing the wheel opening?
Old 04-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
pwdcougar

I tried to flange a long patch panel on the side of my Suburban. The flanging tool made the panel wavy as heck.
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #11
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Why ask for help on how to do it and then do exactly what everyone is telling you not to do your crazy not to use the complete bedside you are going to have a warped up mess believe what they are telling you
they don,t make short box bed sides no more
Old 04-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #12
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Install the quarter in it's entirety. Spot welds on the flange will cause little to no warping as compared to your weld seams through the middle of a panel..
Ok I get the idea , just thought every where I looked said to cut just the rotten panel out and not the good metal. Would be easyier to make a square type patch instead of a jagged piece of floppy metal.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 PM   #13
MP&C

For everyone that tells you to use the smallest patch you can, what do they tell you to do with the weld seam? If they don't mention it, they are not a good source for recommendation.

I prefer to tell someone to instead look first and foremost at where the weld seams will be located and to see if you will have room from the back side for planishing the weld to remove distortion (hammer and dolly) after welding. If there is little access for planishing, perhaps that location is not ideal, look for another. If the panel in question locates welds where the factory put them, and this limits/eliminates weld distortion through the middle of the panel, why would you want that headache of getting the quarter panel straight? If you already have the full bed side, I would only be doing it one way, just like the factory did.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #14
nsb29

I give up you can buy them books and send them to school and all they want to do is eat the teacher
Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #15
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I give up you can buy them books and send them to school and all they want to do is eat the teacher
That,s too bad, you had lots to contribute to this thread.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
For everyone that tells you to use the smallest patch you can, what do they tell you to do with the weld seam? If they don't mention it, they are not a good source for recommendation.

I prefer to tell someone to instead look first and foremost at where the weld seams will be located and to see if you will have room from the back side for planishing the weld to remove distortion (hammer and dolly) after welding. If there is little access for planishing, perhaps that location is not ideal, look for another. If the panel in question locates welds where the factory put them, and this limits/eliminates weld distortion through the middle of the panel, why would you want that headache of getting the quarter panel straight? If you already have the full bed side, I would only be doing it one way, just like the factory did.
Thanks, I,m glad I asked before cutting everything up, I will weld the top close to the top body line where the chrome trim will hide that. On the sides can get in some to planish or dolly.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #17
MP&C

If you have your heart set on welding in a patch, try to avoid sharp corners. The inside corner tends to amplify the warping (into a pucker) as you're getting shrinking that occurs from two sides in close quarters. A wide sweeping curve would help to curtail those, so the shrinking effects are more equalized from one side of the weld seam to the other. You'll still need to planish the weld to take care of the weld distortion from shrinking, but you efforts will be easier with better consistency. Note I did not say easy, just easier than had you used sharp corners....

What welding method, MIG, TIG, O/A???
Old 04-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #18
blazer2007

Hopefully last question . When butt welding the panels where I can,t use clamps or magnets ,what would you suggest ,I,ve seen tabs tacked on the inside or outside to keep the panel flat when stitching the weld. I do have experience with butt welding, some with good results and some with bad ,I don,t do it enough
Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #19
mongocanfly
Post Whore

For everything I couldn't clamp I used magnets...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote