The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
cojnit
Nothing clever

Help For the mechanically challenged

I need to fix my HEI. I read a bunch of stuff from searching, but I was in way over my head.

I want to make sure I get the thing installed correctly, what should I be marking and referencing to make the new one go in and start right up?

thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
diggin69
Southern but in Ohio!!!!

make sure it is at top dead center then put dizzy in with vacum pointed to #8 then point rotor to #1 drop in if it back fires through the carb it might be 180 out pull dizzy up turn rotor to were it points the oposit way this should get it then move your dizzy to time correctly.........if I left somthing out sombody will set me staight....lol
Eaton,Oh
rebelryder@hotmail.com
diggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #3
cojnit
Nothing clever

what the heck is a dizzy?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
acloco

Have you removed the distributor yet? If not...

1. remove cap from distributor, noting location of #1 cylinder plug wire on cap-use a sharpie pen on the distributor base or scratch mark. REMOVE the BAT, TACH, & ignition module wires from cap - coil WILL fire if they are not.
2. rotate engine, until timing mark is at TDC and rotor is pointing to #1 plug location on cap. note which way distributor turns-clockwise as viewed looking down at rotor.
3. remove distributor, replace your parts as needed...
4. install distributor - note -turn rotor back (counterclockwise) approximately 3/4".....because the distributor gear and can gear for distributor drive are helical cut like this /////
5. You might have to rotate the engine until the bottom of the distributor engages the oil pump drive shaft.......if so..no problem, rotate the engine until #1 is at TDC & timing mark is at 0. If rotor points to #1 cylinder mark on distributor housing....you are good to go. rotate engine to 8 or 10 BTDC....install your cap, wires, etc...and fire it up. Check timing after engine is started. GOOD LUCK!
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
bigskiohio

put # 1 piston on compression stroke ,put thumb over spark hole, when you feel pressure stop. then turn balancer to "0" on balancer indicator. motor ready.
now on dist pick out #1 cyl. tower on cap. scribe scratch or mark on aluminum body of dist. right below that. take off dist. cap ,now when you drop in dist. you want rotor pointing at that mark. if dist. does not go down all the way turn motor by hand till it drops and engages oil pump drive. point vac cannister at front right of engine should be good to start. dont forget dist. clamp.
bigskiohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:55 PM   #6
70ChevyLongbed
Howzit?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by cojnit
what the heck is a dizzy?
You prolly know this already...

dizzy = Distributor (or HEI)

Good luck Bra!

70 Longbed, 307, Edelbrock Carb 1404, Edelbrock Intake 2101, Dual Roller Timing chain and gears, 214/214 cam, Comp Roller Rockers, dual Flowmasters.
1999 Chevy Tahoe
2004 Mini Cooper S
71 BMW 2002 - Sold
70ChevyLongbed is offline   Reply With Quote