The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
chevyrestoguy

Restoring a tailgate band

What methods have you guys used to restore a tailgate band? I just bought one that is in extremely nice condition but has 1 small scratch that you can feel with your fingernail. The part looks to be anodized from the factory (like the old Brite-Dip that GM used to use on their metal grilles). I would like to duplicate the polished edges and the lightly brushed-finished center.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
truckfan

Re: Restoring a tailgate band

i have the same question. mine is the narrow "Cheyenne" style. i am guessing some sort of light buff will shine it right up, but am afarid to try
truckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
f.monroe

Look at 78 Chevyrado's threads . He restored his truck and I think a tailgate band was one of the pieces he did . His work is nice on the truck and will give you some direction .
Frank
Old 05-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
chevyrestoguy

Thanks, I'll look up his threads.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
joebeetle

hey guys, i was interested in this too. I tried to find 78 Chevyrado's in the members list but couldn't. am i missing something?
joebeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Dapper Dan

I have been looking myself the closest I can find is this

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=309004&page=2

check out post 38. It is not a step by step but may give you an idea
Dapper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I'll just tell ya...lol I don't know where the thread is either, but it must be there somewhere...lol'

First thing, If your band isn't too bad you can probably just wipe it down lightly with some WD-40. I used to do that on my 87, and it made it look like new until the oil went away again.

On to what I did to this band:
I got a used band off of ebay. It was faded like they usually are, so I tried a new to me way to fix it that has worked so far with no problems.

First thing to do is get any and all old paint off of it, like the outer trim like and the chevrolet letters.

Then I used some of that etching aluminum wheel cleaner on it. I let it soak in good for 5 minutes or so and then rinsed. The etching cleaner got all the stains out so the aluminum was all the same color with no splotches. At this point the band will be white, but don't panic....yet lol.

Then take a scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface LIGHTLY. you don't want scratches on the smooth part of the aluminum, and on the brushed part make sure to only rub WITH the grain, not across it. Also be sure to get down in the paint line groove and the in the chevrolet letters good. It won't matter if it gets scratched where black or yellow paint is to go, just don't scratch it where the aluminum will show.

Once you have it clean and oil free and scuffed up, spray it with a clearcoat. Lay the panel face down, and put on a light first coat just to make sure the panel is as clean as you think it is. Then put on a second coat just enough to get good coverage. At this point the band will kind of look milky, again don't panic...

I left mine out in the sun all day and within a couple of hours the clearcoat had lost all the milkyness and cleared up and I ended up with this

Now it's time to paint the letters and outer stripe on it. The reason you have to clearcoat it first before doing the letters, is if, like me you have to mask off the letters to paint them, you need the clearcoat for the tape to stick to. I put tape on the raw aluminum after the etching cleaner, and when I pulled the tape off, every single bit of the adhesive came off the tape and stuck to the band. Big mess... Make sure to use a tape with an easy relase adhesive. remember you didnt scuff up the surface much and used no primer, so be careful with the clearcoat when sticking things to it. Let it dry in the sun a day or two before using tape on it.

Then mask off and paint your letters and stripe and then let them dry a day, then put another layer of clear over the whole thing. I put mine on kind of heavy, where it wouldn't have as much texture to it when it dried.

Here's my finished band, with black stripe and Gold Chevrolet letters.

The emblem on the right side isn't stock, but was part of a broken fender emblem, and it cover the small dent in the band quite nicely and looks stock to people who don't know any better.

I later added the silverado part of the fender emblem too, but it's not stock. All they do is hide a dent.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 05-22-2009 at 02:09 AM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Chevyrado View Post
I'll just tell ya...lol I don't know where the thread is either, but it must be there somewhere...lol'

First thing, If your band isn't too bad you can probably just wipe it down lightly with some WD-40. I used to do that on my 87, and it made it look like new until the oil went away again.

I got a used band off of ebay. It was faded like they usually are, so I tried a new to me way to fix it that has worked so far with no problems.

First thing to do is get any and all old paint off of it, like the outer trim like and the chevrolet letters.

Then I used some of that etching aluminum wheel cleaner on it. I let it soak in good for 5 minutes or so and then rinsed. The etching cleaner got all the stains out so the aluminum was all the same color with no splotches. At this point the band will be white, but don't panic....yet lol.

Then take a scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface LIGHTLY. you don't want scratches on the smooth part of the aluminum, and on the brushed part make sure to only rub WITH the grain, not across it. Also be sure to get down in the paint line groove and the in the chevrolet letters good. It won't matter if it gets scratched where black or yellow paint is to go, just don't scratch it where the aluminum will show.

Once you have it clean and oil free and scuffed up, spray it with a clearcoat. Lay the panel face down, and put on a light first coat just to make sure the panel is as clean as you think it is. Then put on a second coat just enough to get good coverage. At this point the band will kind of look milky, again don't panic...

I left mine out in the sun all day and within a couple of hours the clearcoat had lost all the milkyness and cleared up and I ended up with this

Now it's time to paint the letters and outer stripe on it. The reason you have to clearcoat it first before doing the letters, is if, like me you have to mask off the letters to paint them, you need the clearcoat for the tape to stick to. I put tape on the raw aluminum after the etching cleaner, and when I pulled the tape off, every single bit of the adhesive came off the tape and stuck to the band. Big mess... Make sure to use a tape with an easy relase adhesive. remember you didnt scuff up the surface much and used no primer, so be careful with the clearcoat when sticking things to it. Let it dry in the sun a day or two before using tape on it.

Then mask off and paint your letters and stripe and then let them dry a day, then put another layer of clear over the whole thing. I put mine on kind of heavy, where it wouldn't have as much texture to it when it dried.

The emblem on the right side isn't stock, but was part of a broken fender emblem, and it cover the small dent in the band quite nicely and looks stock to people who don't know any better.

I later added the silverado part of the fender emblem too, but it's not stock. All they do is hide a dent.

thats a cool idea
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
menace121978

awesome thread!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Panelman55

Are you using rattle can clear or do you use the real stuff? I have a band off my GMC for sale, If it doesn't sale I might do this method you described, but I don't have the funds for real clear, just rattle can.

Last edited by Panelman55; 03-25-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Panelman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
3QTRTONS

GREAT THREAD!!! I'm gonna try that on a couple of my bands!!!
1981 Jeep CJ5/350 Vortec
1941 Dodge WC18 Ambulance
2000 GMC Bus (parts warehouse)
3QTRTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I used the rattle can spray clear from advance auto parts.

FYI: after more than 2 years of use, it still looks freshly painted.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
nobull2

which scotch brite pad did you use?
nobull2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Skunksmash

What if you've got a few dents?
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
INSIDIOUS '86

Mine was anodized and so far I've only gotten half of it off. Pita new old stock one too
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
UKNOWME

Subscribed for reference. Great job!
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #17
R&K's71

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a couple of dents in mine. Sanded it down using sanding sponges and taped of the edge and sprayed it black. Then pulled the tape off and used I believe a 1000 grit sanding sponge and polished the edges and cleared it all. After about a year and a half it is still holding up.
Attached Images
R&K's71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #18
R&K's71

I had a couple of dents in mine. Sanded it down using sanding sponges and taped of the edge and sprayed it black. Then pulled the tape off and used I believe a 1000 grit sanding sponge and polished the edges and cleared it all. After about a year and a half it is still holding up.
Attached Images

R&K's71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #19
E.D.75GMC

Quote:

Hey what colour of gold and brand of paint did you use for the Chevrolet letters? My GMC was originally like that and I want to redo it in the same shade.
E.D.75GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #20
UKNOWME

Quote:

What did you use to remove the paint?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote