The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
MalibuSSwagon

A833 Rebuild

This thread is to document my progress on my A833 rebuild

I was scanning craigslist and I came across an ad for a chevy four speed for cheap. I recognized what it was, but procrastinated for a week over it. Then the guy reposted it for $70 so I couldn't pass it up. Short road trip after work and this little gem was mine.

So as you might expect, people doesn't usually give away four speeds, I mean it was pretty much free seeing as it came with a good bellhousing. well he said it sat outside a long time and was stuck. However we could move the shifter arms so I had hope. Pulled off the side to start.

Eww...looks worse than it is. Seems the gear oil protected most of the internals, but it was definitely sitting with water in it for a while.

I found a procedure to rebuild an A833 OD and continued the disassembly.

There is one special tool for this job, it is a 15/16" diameter steel rod in 9 1/8" length. I did not buy this tool. I used a piece of copper pipe that was slighty smaller to push out the counter shaft. Countergear set will fall into the bottom of the case and spill a bunch of needle bearings. No worries, gotta replace those. Saved them all anyways.

This is where I am at now.

Still need to remove the main shaft from the tailhousing and disassemble that. Need bigger snap ring pilers to get that done.

Now, here are my concerns.

First, seems like someone dropped the trans on something hard and pointy. There is a dent on the outside of the case and inside....

It's not cracked thru but still a concern. Pretty much on the middle of the case so doesn't seem like it would get stressed much. Should I have someone weld it or just cook out the goo with a propane torch and fill it with JB?

Also, my cluster gear has some rust pitting. Considering replacing it, other gears seem to be ok. Brewers sells nice used gears for $80, but then the shipping. Might track down a Dodge A833 OD to strip the good gears out of, a few available around here for $200. Thinking that's worth the price if the shifter is still attached, and gives me leftover parts to resell.

Lastly, need a rebuild kit. Thinking about calling Brewers even tho they don't list a Chevy kit, but maybe they can piece a kit together. A few Chevy specific kits on ebay as well, not sure what the quality on those are.

I'll be updating this with my progress.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote