The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
72Mountaineer

IFS Questions ???

Getting ready to pull the pin on an IFS setup for my '53 3100, there are just so many out there with such different prices. What are the basic questions that I need to ask when buying one? I don't want the stock MII a-arms (definately), but want drop spindles (definately). Do coil-overs matter that much? Will a basic coil spring/shock setup ride good? This setup will be on a driver, not a show/cruise only truck, V8 powered-type hot rod, not a completely stock truck. I've seen what seem like some good deals, Ebay/larger rod shows (Goodguys,etc.), but are they really (maybe with lesser-type parts)? Thanks for all the advice given.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
solidaxel

Re: IFS Questions ???

Take a look at Scotts Hot Rod, as far as ease of installation Scotts was VERY easy and fast and made for your application.
I have used different ones and his was very simple to complete.
The second pic is the Scotts and the top is a combo. of a Dodge Dakota and Industrial Chassis crossmember, which I don't think he is making anymore.
I also have been looking at late 80's Corvette.
Take your time and compare the finished cost of all the units out there and the ease of installition.

............ and welcome from So Arizona!
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42

Last edited by solidaxel; 08-29-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Add pics
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
mr48chev

The best advice I can give is if you can get to a Goodguys show or NSRA major event where there are a number of vendors is go and check out the front end kits that are offered and talk to the vendors reps. You can go back and forth and look, touch and feel and ask questions.

I went the Joe Cheap Ebay route and while I am satisfied with what I have it isn't for everyone and I have probably ten hours of fitting ahead of me before I get the crossmember all set up.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
Getting ready to pull the pin on an IFS setup for my '53 3100, there are just so many out there with such different prices. What are the basic questions that I need to ask when buying one? I don't want the stock MII a-arms (definately), but want drop spindles (definately). Do coil-overs matter that much? Will a basic coil spring/shock setup ride good? This setup will be on a driver, not a show/cruise only truck, V8 powered-type hot rod, not a completely stock truck. I've seen what seem like some good deals, Ebay/larger rod shows (Goodguys,etc.), but are they really (maybe with lesser-type parts)? Thanks for all the advice given.
To give you my two cents, I've used TCI and have had great luck with them. I've put at least 7 or 8 of their Mll kits in every thing from a '47 chevy car to '57 chevy trucks and a few fords. They are priced about the same as all the rest.
To answer some of your questions go with the tube upper and lower arms, go with the drop spindles, and if you're just making a nice driver go with the coil springs, you can't go wrong there. put a sway bar up front, and then you just have to make up your mind if you want power steering or not..
Don't cheap out on this stuff because you and your family's life is riding on it.. If you need photo's of some installs let me know.

wayne
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
bobinbc

Not sure why everyone wants the tubular a-arms, all the ones I've seen come with urethane bushings in them which do squeak. Also, a lot of the setups with tubular lower arms are not very well supported, the stock M11 setup with the additional strut rod works well. I'm not a big fan of M11 frontends in 3500 lb trucks to start with, but if I was going to use one on a DRIVER I'd stick with the stock configuration and add bigger GM brakes. By the way,FYI I have a buddy who's 55 build is stalled because he has the TCI tubular a-arms and the bushings squeak, and he can't find a decent solution.... my .02

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
tmoble

2nd gen Camaro works for me, but it's not a bolt-in cut and dried solution. My truck has this front end with ultra-fast steering box and 1.25 stabilizer bar from 79 WS-6 Trans Am. recently installed the rear from a C4 Vette. I'm pretty happy with the way my truck drives and handles. The big bar makes the ride rough at times, but there's nothing like cruising into a 35MPH off ramp at 75 with complete confidence. And I don't even have good wheels and tires.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
mr48chev

2nd generation Camaro doesn't fit well on the AD trucks like it does on the Taskforce trucks. I had first generation on my 48 and it drove great but was a royal pain to get everything else fitted up right. Solving one issue creates many more.

For simplicity on the 53 a Chassis Engineering bolt on MII front crossmember would be as simple as it gets http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page9.html

All that takes to install is a good tape measure, a half inch electric drill and bit (s) and a hand full of common wrenches. Fancy? No but it should be dead nuts reliable with new or rebuilt stock MII pieces. Years ago when guys started putting stock MII crossmembers under trucks I did some checking on the components on the stock units. The upper ball joints are the same as Lincoln Mark IV in the 70's the lowers are just as stout. The wheel bearings are the same as many other Ford products.
These crossmembers and stock suspensions were used in many of the 80's and 90's Cobra kits.
Ok, time to get off the soapbox and get back to work.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
astjohn

Speedway Motors has a bolt in IFS crossmember.
astjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Well I agree with parkwood and use TCI units and never had an issue I do box the crossmember where the lower a-arm sits and I add a brace but thats just me I know others that don't do it and never had a problem. Here is how I did mine.

Also if you do decide to clip it I reinstalled a botched 1970 Nova clip on a 1954 Chevy Truck and it works great. That clip is not as wide as a Camaro. I believe the clip is the same 1970-1974. I drove the truck recently and it rides and handles great.

Last edited by Kabwe; 08-31-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
tmoble

I saw at one of the vendors a setup with custom hubs and caliper brackets that narrows the track width of the Camaro subframe 2.25 inches. That would make a difference on the older trucks that are a little narrow.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
72Mountaineer

Thanks for all the replies and pics. I've been scouting the net and ebay and talking to some guys at the local cruises, they all say go with the name brand stuff and I'll be good. There are a couple setups on Ebay now and are a little more than others but include some extras, sway bars and brake lines, 11" brakes, etc, and are bigger name parts through a bigger name dealer. I've called these guys and got good responses, so I would think that any customer assistance would be good also.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
reinmeister1951

I have a question, Will the aftermarket M11 crossmembers fit 3/4 to or 1 ton frames without modification. I don't have a 1/2 to frame on hand to compare.
48 che 5 window 2012 Camero suspension & power train
reinmeister1951 is offline   Reply With Quote