The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
kingburnett

Dash Hole

I need some suggestions. I have a 1961 K10 short stepside which has ingition switch problems. The entire back phenolic piece with the wire lugs poped out of the back and the ignition switch spins around in the dash hole when I try to turn the key. I bought a new switch from NAPA number KS6175. Both the new and old switches have a "D" shaped shaft that goes through the dash hole. Part of the problem is that the clocking of the flat part of the "D" is in different locations. The new switch is about 5 or 10 degrees clockwise from the original. The biggest problem however is that the dash hole is now rounded and has no flat. Has anyone repaired their ingition switch hole to reform it into a "D" shape?
Dash hole pic

Switch hardware new on left old on right

Thanks.
1961 K10 - sbc 400 4 spd M/T short stepside
kingburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
kingburnett

Re: Dash Hole

OK - No suggestions so I managed to fix things without them. I filed a small notch out of the dash hole lip about 1/8 inch wide and about 1/8 inch deep and clocked at about the 5-O'clock position. I also used a small hand held roto tool to remove a small amount of material from the notched retaining ring inside diameter opposite if the flat part of the "D" shape so it would slip along the shaft part of the ignition switch (Previous Pic, Left column second row). I first screwed on the backing nut (a light sheet metal rectangle shaped clip nut looking thing to adjust the depth at the front see the previous pic left column first row item) and then slipped the clocking ring with the nub at the 5-O'clock position on the shaft with the nub protruding through the filed notch and then pushed the switch into the hole from the back side of the dash. I placed the Bezel on the front side and tightened it up and then returned the key cylinder into the ignition switch. All is well now.
1961 K10 - sbc 400 4 spd M/T short stepside
kingburnett is offline   Reply With Quote