The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
c.brown

chrome finish vs aluminum finished rims

just having trouble deciding between the two aluminum is cheaper and always be polished but dont have the shine of chrome but ive herd of some crome rims pealing or pitting from brake dust just loking for somr opinions thanks
c.brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: chrome finish vs aluminum finished rims

Both have advantages and disadvantages, and either can be damaged by brake dust if not properly cared for. One nice feature of bare aluminum is that it goes all the way through to the other side, similar to something made out of stainless steel. If the finish gets dull or scratched, it can be polished back to a high luster if the damage isn’t too deep. If the material is dense enough it can be buffed to look almost exactly like chrome, but requires regular polishing to maintain the high shine appearance. A highly polished Weld Wheel is a good example.

Chrome naturally holds a shine longer with no more than a protective coating of wax, but if it gets scratched or dulled with abrasives, it isn’t coming back. And much of the longevity of chrome depends on how well it was applied. Back in the 50’s chrome really only came in one flavor, commonly called triple chrome plating. This consisted of a layer (or multiple layers) of copper plating to build up the surface to a beautiful smooth surface, following by nickel to turn it silver, and finally a dunk in the chrome tank to seal it. This is called “show chrome” now, and demands premium pricing.

Beginning 30 or so years ago the term “production chrome” came into being and the copper coat was either severely reduced or left out completely. To confuse the general public they were no longer getting true triple chrome plating, terms like “duplex chrome”, or “triple nickel” chrome became common, cleverly concealing the absence of any copper as a foundation.

I don’t know the chemistry behind it but historically it was also more difficult to successfully chrome plate aluminum than steel. I’ve seen a great many chromed aluminum wheels and valve covers with the finish peeling off, but I’ve also seen this happen on badly plated steel wheels as well. So chrome steel wheels may hold up slightly better than chromed aluminum wheels, but not necessarily.

I would recommend going to a few rod runs and taking a close look at the various styles and brands of wheels you find interesting, and see how good they look in actual use. Also ask the owners what they think. Hot rodders are generally very honest about their experiences. If they spent a lot of money on something that turned out to be a disappointment, they’ll be glad to let everyone know.

Last edited by markeb01; 01-09-2011 at 03:17 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Kind of depends on the use of the vehicle.

I prefer chrome on a daily driver if chrome is available. It has been my experience that regular polished / non-clear coated aluminum wheels take considerable maintenance to keep them looking shiny on a daily driver vehicle. With chrome all you need to do is wax them occasionally.

I have newer American Racing "Salt Flat Specials" and "TTO" aluminum wheels and some vintage US Indy & Western aluminum slots on my "toys". Since I don't drive them in bad weather and they therefore don't see much abuse from the elements they don't need much attention.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 01-09-2011 at 03:31 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
way2lo2
way2lo2

Billet Specialties is currently testing a new clear coat that they may offer if the testing yields positive results. Their polishing is probably one of the best if not THE best in the business but daily use will take its toll if not maintained. I love the ease of maintenance of chrome rims but the drawback is the narrow selection of traditional or vintage looking chrome wheels, my opinion is most chrome wheels out there especially in the larger diameters belong on late models, again that's just MY opinion.
216 789-1647 mobile
Way2Lo2@aol.com <----also my paypal
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/way2Lo2
way2lo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
c.brown

thanks alot guys for all the info really leaning towards the aluminum
c.brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
creep
Registered Loser

I love the look of polished aluminum rims. There is so much more depth in them than in chrome. I have 18" aluminum Centerlines on my van and unfortunately, as everyone has mentioned, they can be a pain to maintain. I think from now on I will only get painted wheels.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote