The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
DylanVK

Help with door alignment

So first a little background - as best I can tell I am the 4th owner of this truck since it became a 'project truck' and other than going over it with a fine tooth comb to see the sheetmetal and body work were done properly I don't have much info on how/who did a lot of the work.

Bulk of the cab and bed restoration were done 3 owners ago and everything is gapped really well, save for one spot on the drivers door where I have the door rubbing the drip rail (see pics)

Looking for some advice as to how I can tighten this up. Never done a door alignment on a truck like this before so its all new to me. Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks/advice.

It barely rubs on open/close - the leading edge gaps all look decent, maybe a little wide, so I have room there to pull the door forward I guess. Just looking for input on how I should proceed.
Attached Images

DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Help with door alignment

How are the hinges any movement when you lift the door? You may be able to move the top hinge in a fraction, it is very difficult to get at the hinges. I think I had the cowl off and the fender loose to get at the top hinge bolts, mark where the bolt is and number of shims. Get a roll of blue tape to protect the paint edges. Truck Color is great BTW.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
SuperC10Tex

Loosen top cap hinge bolts, use a floor jack with a 2x4, left off center on the door....."just a bit", tighten bolts and see what you get! Play with it!!! Oh, loving the Color, more pics please????

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
jjdowney

Subscribing, I have a similar problem but my issue is on the opposite side. Mine is rubbing close to the hinge.
jjdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Molberg

Check your hinge pins and bushings with a lift and release on the outer edge of the door. If worn badly... Will cause top corner opposite hinges to fall.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Molberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
67ctener

Idk how to fix it but beautiful paint
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
hugger6933

Grab the back of your door and see if you can shake it up and down. If there is any slack there it needs to be taken out before going forward. Just remember the body side bolts will adjust the door forwards and backwards. the door side hinge bolts will adjust the door in and out. Now you can if needed get a small amount of twist in either one with the use of a shim. but looking at the pics of the truck in question I say it hopefully needs some bushings in the hinges. That will be a lot easier to fix than will loosening the hinge bolts with the fenders on with out the fender wrench. If you don't have the special Kent Moore wrench or the Snap-On cousin, maybe try a Crescent [not wrench but shape] wrench to see if it will work a lot of times they will. I hope I have at least not done any harm in you trying to adjust the door on your truck. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
DylanVK

Thanks for all the help... I'll be giving some of these suggestions a try this weekend. Also cutting out the rollpan and hideous tail lights installed by the previous owner and reinstalling a modded stock bumper - more pics of that little project to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
How are the hinges any movement when you lift the door?
A tiny bit... just enough to pull up and avoid the rub, so I've take to (at least for now) pulling up a little on the door handle when closing the door to avoid making the rub spot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperC10Tex View Post
Loosen top cap hinge bolts, use a floor jack with a 2x4, left off center on the door....."just a bit", tighten bolts and see what you get! Play with it!!! Oh, loving the Color, more pics please????
Thanks... and heres a few pics of my baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Idk how to fix it but beautiful paint
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Grab the back of your door and see if you can shake it up and down. If there is any slack there it needs to be taken out before going forward. Just remember the body side bolts will adjust the door forwards and backwards. the door side hinge bolts will adjust the door in and out. Now you can if needed get a small amount of twist in either one with the use of a shim. but looking at the pics of the truck in question I say it hopefully needs some bushings in the hinges. That will be a lot easier to fix than will loosening the hinge bolts with the fenders on with out the fender wrench. If you don't have the special Kent Moore wrench or the Snap-On cousin, maybe try a Crescent [not wrench but shape] wrench to see if it will work a lot of times they will. I hope I have at least not done any harm in you trying to adjust the door on your truck. Jim
Great input... thank you. I may have to track down my buddy in the snapon truck this week and try to grab that wrench from him.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

A bit of good advice...get yourself some 3m painters tape and tape all the edges of the door and the cab before you start adjusting. Hate to see anymore chips in that pretty paint job.
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Lemield

Hey DylanVK,

I have a door holding jack that makes working on doors much easier. I used it on my truck(s) and it's just sitting in my attic right now. You are most welcome to borrow it if you want to. I'm in Arvada. Just let me know.

Oh...and your truck is beautiful.
Attached Images

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
DylanVK

Hey Larry! Thats extremely kind and generous of you... I may take you up on that if I can't manage to get it dialed in with it on the truck.

Also, nice to 'meet you' neighbor
Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Sammy

Whoaaaa...there is such an animal?? Nice a door holding jack..beats my hyd jack n 4X4..

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanVK View Post
Hey Larry! Thats extremely kind and generous of you... I may take you up on that if I can't manage to get it dialed in with it on the truck.

Also, nice to 'meet you' neighbor
No problem buddy...just let me know if you want to use it.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
hotrodder

would you mind telling what size wheels and tire size you have on the truck? I have a 67 and I am looking for some wheels and tires. COOL TRUCK!
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #15
Tinkermc

From what I read here you should get the door perfect. You Sir, have an awsome lookin ride and the color is great!!!
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote