The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Door alignment

How can I align this door? As you may be able to see in the picture the gap on the red arrows are closer and the gap on the green arrow is wider. The door doesn't close nicely. I have to slam it and even when slamming it it doesn't close all the way. I see there are two hinges. Is it as simple as just loosening them and the align the door? I thought to ask before I mess up anything else!
Thanks,
Attached Images

1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
Possmguts

Re: Door alignment

Is that an after market door? Looks like that fender could go forward, and the door need tilted back and lifted a bit... hows the hinge pins? Any slop in the hinges will cause you to not be able to do much with it.

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
Nima
Blue 67

I don't think it is an after market door but I can't say for sure since I am not the original owner. Sorry to sound stupid but how can I say if there is slop on hinge pin or not? Just grab the door and see if there is a play? What happens if there is a slop on hinge pin? Need to replace them?
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
I don't think it is an after market door but I can't say for sure since I am not the original owner. Sorry to sound stupid but how can I say if there is slop on hinge pin or not? Just grab the door and see if there is a play? What happens if there is a slop on hinge pin? Need to replace them?
Yeah.. if you can pick up on the door then the pins need replaced... you'll never be able to get it adjusted if those pins are worn... you will have to start with that first..

Old 02-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Davidf

The rear of the door needs to go down. Also, the fender needs to go forward. Do adjust the door, the fender must be removed anyway to access the hinge to body bolts. It could be that the door should be adjusted in/out some as well...but cannot see that in photo. After the door is perfectly positioned in the opening, then turn your attention to the strike plate to make the door latch properly.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Nima
Blue 67

Okay, the process is: check the hinge pin first, if there is no movement/play, remove the fender, loosen the door hinges and adjust the door and line up (or is it adjustable?) the door striker and then put the fender back, correct?
Thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
hugger6933

The adjustment goes as follows the body side hinge bolt will allow the door to move front to back and the door side in and out. Now both end will offer a very minute adjustment the other way wit the use of shims so before removing the fender try some shims on the top hing to allow the door to "twist in the pocket" [Pocket is what bodymen refer to as the door opening when we don't say door opening]
Yes, the best way to check the hinge pins is to open the door and try to wiggle it up and down of course it is already gonna be down so I guess see if it moves upwards.

Anytime you have to adjust panels ALWAYS start with the panel that is against a fixed panel. Meaning in the case of the truck doors. Then move to the fender then the hood.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Davidf

Huh? Don't use shims at the hinges, not necessary as you have more than enough in/out, forward/back, up/down adjustability of each hinge individually. Consequently, the door can be rotated or "twisted" in the opening.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
hugger6933

In this case where the door needs to move or rotate in the pocket it would be fine to use a couple shims on the top of the body side hinge. That way you could rotate the door and not have to remove the fender to get the fit you need/want. I think that the pin/bushings are NOT gonna be a big issue here because the door is hanging the wrong way for bad b&p's. If the pins and bushing were the and I do mean THE main problem causing the misalignment problem the door would be hanging the opposite way. Meaning the top back would be touching and the front lower part would be real close to the fender.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Nima
Blue 67

So, I need help!
I took the fender off, loosened up the total 6 bolts on the door hinges, move the door up and down until I got what I though is the best combination (the pictures) although the RIGHT lower corner looks narrower than all other gaps but I don't know how much I can mess with it (any tips??). Now the main problem is the striker/door latch: when I lined up the door as best as I could and when I close the door, the striker pushes up the door (beside making this loud metal to metal nose) in a way that the door gaps all gets the same as the original pictures that I posted. How can I align the striker (or door latch that you see in picture) since it seems there is not much room to move it up and down? How can I determine how many spacers/shims do I need since it seems somebody put too many of them?
Sorry if some of the pictures are slightly blurry.
Thanks,
Attached Images

Last edited by Nima; 02-10-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
cooperhw

Quote:
So, I need help!
I took the fender off, loosened up the total 6 bolts on the door hinges, move the door up and down until I got what I though is the best combination (the pictures) although the RIGHT lower corner looks narrower than all other gaps but I don't know how much I can mess with it (any tips??). Now the main problem is the striker/door latch: when I lined up the door as best as I could and when I close the door, the striker pushes up the door (beside making this loud metal to metal nose) in a way that the door gaps all gets the same as the original pictures that I posted. How can I align the striker (or door latch that you see in picture) since it seems there is not much room to move it up and down? How can I determine how many spacers/shims do I need since it seems somebody put too many of them?
Sorry if some of the pictures are slightly blurry.
Thanks,
You gotta adjust the strike too. I have had to elongate the holes a little bit a time or two in order to get the adjustment I needed.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:36 AM   #12
Possmguts

that door just looks strange to me.. like its an aftermarket door.. the back doesnt look like its a straight line... if thats the case, you may never get it right...

Old 02-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #13
hugger6933

Have you pried the striker loose from the truck or just loosened the bolts to move it that way? The striker has some body glue behind it most times that doesn't allow its full movement without removing that glue. Take the striker all the way off and clean the backside of it and its mating surface. If your fender gap is off now like you have too much at the bottom, you are gonna need new core support bushings yours may have collapsed
Old 02-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
redtailboa

Looks like the cab corner was changed and not welded in correct . Look from inside to see if a new one has been welded in . Put a straight edge on cab to check ( 2-3 foot ruler ) . You could fix by using a straight dolly and hammer and try hitting is carefully along the bottom of opening to get it to line up with the door . Or could be filled up with body filler ?
redtailboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #15
Possmguts

Im gonna have some work to do to get this re-pop fender gap right when it comes time to start lining up gaps... not to that point just yet though... Whats the story here? Did you get that door gap any better?
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2016, 12:50 AM   #16
Nima
Blue 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
Im gonna have some work to do to get this re-pop fender gap right when it comes time to start lining up gaps... not to that point just yet though... Whats the story here? Did you get that door gap any better?
I got the door shot now. before it wouldn't even shot. The gaps are not lining up well still. Unfortunately I have been very busy with work and have not the chance to work on it.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:07 AM   #17
66clow

The door doesn't look bad up top wondering if the cab side panel was ever hit and replaced or poorly repaired. Check it closely for any prior repairs.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #18
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Im having door alignment problems because its a different cab with my old doors. Change the striker plates to my old ones now cant get anything to line up. Frustrating.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #19
Boog
laying low

Quote:
I got the door shot now. before it wouldn't even shot. The gaps are not lining up well still. Unfortunately I have been very busy with work and have not the chance to work on it.
These trucks didn't have great panel alignment from the factory but with that fit on yours I would be looking for a rocker replacement or cab corner replacement that didn't turn out well.
There's an episode on Fantom Works that just aired again where a fella drove a 47 or 48 Chevy pkup into their shop with his passenger door roped shut and he was holding the driver side door too since neither door would close. He had cut and replaced some of the floor without bracing the door openings and the door gaps actually closed up on both sides. The FW guys had to cut the floor back into then redo much of the repair work the owner had done. That truck was fully painted and all.
Your truck's poor door alignment may also be the result of an amateur's work.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote