The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: slam it or not?
extreme static drop 32 59.26%
"stock" suspension 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

My Classic Wedding (60-66 style)

first off, i'm excited that my project is about to get started....my goal is to have this thing ready by October 23, my proposed wedding date...i want to use it as the "getaway" vehicle, but i also plan to use it for wedding photos...this is where i have a dilemma...my plans are to switch the truck to 5-lug, power/disc brakes, & power steering, using the front crossmember, rear end, and other components from a '72....in the process, i would love to go ahead & slam my truck while the suspension is apart...however, in staying true with classic wedding photos, i feel it would be best to keep the truck with a more original look with stock type suspension...it just seems to go with the whole vintage look better i think....then later down the road i can still do the drop...but i wanted to get some others' opinions as well....so, let me know what you think

also, i wanted to not only use this thread for myself but as an opportunity for others to post any wedding pictures they might have using their '60-66 Chevy/GMC trucks....after my wedding, i'll add the photos of my truck too

picture of my truck for reference:

Last edited by likaroc13; 06-09-2010 at 02:05 PM.
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: My Classic Wedding (60-66 style)

Nice truck! Congrats on getting on your way to being married! Good luck with the drop as well.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
spr85gmc

static of course it will be easier for the wifey to get in with her dress and all....
spr85gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Drop it and slide your new bride on that seat and go. Congradulations on the wedding.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"

Last edited by Bishops Trucks; 06-09-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
ob1monkey

I think either stock or lowered will be great for the photos. Mine was bagged and sitting on the ground once we got in I juiced it with nitrogen for a quick up and left a good bit of rubber as we made our exit. Everyone that attended loved that we incorporated the truck into the wedding. I will post a few pics later tonight. Just remeber to warn your best man and brides maids that if the get creative you might have to hurt them. They used toilet paper(must have been 20 rolls in the cab alone) to decorate mine so that I wouldn't be angry that anything hurt the truck.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1monkey View Post
I think either stock or lowered will be great for the photos. Mine was bagged and sitting on the ground once we got in I juiced it with nitrogen for a quick up and left a good bit of rubber as we made our exit. Everyone that attended loved that we incorporated the truck into the wedding. I will post a few pics later tonight. Just remeber to warn your best man and brides maids that if the get creative you might have to hurt them. They used toilet paper(must have been 20 rolls in the cab alone) to decorate mine so that I wouldn't be angry that anything hurt the truck.
thanks, i look forward to the pics....and we're doing a small, intimate wedding with mainly just family...we're not using any groomsmen or bridesmaids, & my family knows how much of a perfectionist i can be when it comes to my vehicles, so i think they'll leave it alone...but it's not a show queen, so i don't mind if they add a little ribbon here and there & write on the back window with glass chalk
Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
66coffin

I say slam that sucker, it will still look vintage in the photos, especially if you shoot black and whites and dress the part too! no modern stuff in the background either.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
ob1monkey

here are a couple. I will see if I can scan a few more later. the weding is before we became accustomed to the digital era

ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1monkey View Post
here are a couple. I will see if I can scan a few more later. the weding is before we became accustomed to the digital era
thanks man, cool pics!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Turkey

Name:  DSC03679.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  46.3 KB

My getaway vehicle, and my wedding present!! Top that
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Seems almost a shame to drop your truck because immaculate originals are so rare, and once modified they never go back. That and I happen to think they look better somewhere near stock height. On the other hand, I’ve never been one to leave anything alone just because it’s original. For me, stock is boring. If you ultimately want it dropped, I’d say do it now if you have the time and budget to get in done on schedule.

Each time I make a cosmetic change on my truck, in my minds eye it has always looked that way and I’m disappointed to look back and see it didn’t look as cool earlier in my ownership. The same principle applies to your wedding related truck pictures. Make it look like the way you would like to remember it decades into the future.

As a point of reference, I led the procession for my middle daughters wedding from the church to the reception in our black 1946 sedan street rod wearing polished Weld Wheel Draglites. Looking back, it would have looked more “timeless” with stock wheels and hubcaps. But the pictures turned out fantastic showing the wedding couple, a dressed out street rod, and the old school church in the background. If the car had looked more original, the wedding would have appeared more “vintage”, but as family keepsakes the photos wouldn’t have been any better.

And congrats on the upcoming nuptials!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Seems almost a shame to drop your truck because immaculate originals are so rare, and once modified they never go back. That and I happen to think they look better somewhere near stock height. On the other hand, I’ve never been one to leave anything alone just because it’s original. For me, stock is boring. If you ultimately want it dropped, I’d say do it now if you have the time and budget to get in done on schedule.

Each time I make a cosmetic change on my truck, in my minds eye it has always looked that way and I’m disappointed to look back and see it didn’t look as cool earlier in my ownership. The same principle applies to your wedding related truck pictures. Make it look like the way you would like to remember it decades into the future.

As a point of reference, I led the procession for my middle daughters wedding from the church to the reception in our black 1946 sedan street rod wearing polished Weld Wheel Draglites. Looking back, it would have looked more “timeless” with stock wheels and hubcaps. But the pictures turned out fantastic showing the wedding couple, a dressed out street rod, and the old school church in the background. If the car had looked more original, the wedding would have appeared more “vintage”, but as family keepsakes the photos wouldn’t have been any better.

And congrats on the upcoming nuptials!
thanks!....and what you described is the reason i was thinking a more original look might be appropriate for "vintage" photos...& my truck is far from immaculate, but it looks pretty decent & is in pretty good shape considering...but it's not original by any means...originally, it was a '66 with 283/Powerglide...someone before me put the 65 emblems, & it now has a '66 327/Powerglide...and of course when i switch the suspension, that won't be original anymore either....i've always been a custom guy myself...but my ultimate goal for this one is to keep a mostly original exterior appearance with exception of being lowered...sometime down the road it'll be getting a repaint as well
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
Rich 5150 69

Lowered with a resto look is cool...by far the best of both....
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
robtech

turkey...thats awesome

i vote for the drop...it's not about vintage its about what you want...a classic is still a classic even when its layed out
robtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

I vote "drop it", a lot easier for the new Mrs. to get in with the wedding dress. Plus as mentioned above; a classic is always a classic. At my wedding we used my wife's '94 Firebird Formula as the getaway vehicle, wasn't really a classic but it sure made for a quick escape. The church never even complained about the black marks.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Leave it alone, that truck is far too nice to change anything
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #17
1restorick

Wow, I do need to scan some old photos. I had my 63 truck in my wedding (1992). I actually felt pushed to complete it after a three year resto. I even have photos of the wedding party standing in the bed. I lowered my truck year later and changed the wheels.

I would make it look like you really want it, since the photos will likely be around for a long time.

Rick
1restorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #18
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

If you decide to lower the truck, it could also represent the other change that is to occur in your life at the same time... sniff, sniff! For the better..... Open tears and sobbing!

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #19
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
first off, i'm excited that my project is about to get started....my goal is to have this thing ready by October 23, my proposed wedding date...i want to use it as the "getaway" vehicle, but i also plan to use it for wedding photos...this is where i have a dilemma...my plans are to switch the truck to 5-lug, power/disc brakes, & power steering, using the front crossmember, rear end, and other components from a '72....in the process, i would love to go ahead & slam my truck while the suspension is apart...however, in staying true with classic wedding photos, i feel it would be best to keep the truck with a more original look with stock type suspension...it just seems to go with the whole vintage look better i think....then later down the road i can still do the drop...but i wanted to get some others' opinions as well....so, let me know what you think

also, i wanted to not only use this thread for myself but as an opportunity for others to post any wedding pictures they might have using their '60-66 Chevy/GMC trucks....after my wedding, i'll add the photos of my truck too

picture of my truck for reference:

Congrats on getting hitched!

The truck, as it sits in the photo, is an "appreciating asset", aka (also known as), an unmolested survivor! Performing mild-to-wild modifications "depreciate" the value of the truck over its lifespan. The urge to do so, is quite overwhelming, therefore, so few survive this process and they become virtually impossible to find without these personalized custom features.

P.S. - With factory-correct mirrors and '66 badges, you have a moving "time machine", however, as you stated, "my plans are to switch the truck to 5-lug, power/disc brakes, & power steering, using the front crossmember, rear end, and other components from a '72....in the process, i would love to go ahead & slam my truck while the suspension is apart", the truck then becomes firmly placed on the mainstream time-line of the "slamming era" of the early 2000's era.

Warning: This statement runs counter to most popular beliefs, therefore it is intended to educate, not infuriate, those who read it!

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-10-2010 at 08:07 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #20
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

That is one sweet original truck! The only safe way to get the best of both world is Photoshop. Take thousands of pictures and edit later. Then you can lift it lower it color it crop it chop it smooth it without making any mistakes. Lol
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #21
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
Congrats on getting hitched!

The truck, as it sits in the photo, is an "appreciating asset", aka (also known as), an unmolested survivor! Performing mild-to-wild modifications "depreciate" the value of the truck over its lifespan. The urge to do so, is quite overwhelming, therefore, so few survive this process and they become virtually impossible to find without these personalized custom features.

P.S. - With factory-correct mirrors and '66 badges, you have a moving "time machine", however, as you stated, "my plans are to switch the truck to 5-lug, power/disc brakes, & power steering, using the front crossmember, rear end, and other components from a '72....in the process, i would love to go ahead & slam my truck while the suspension is apart", the truck then becomes firmly placed on the mainstream time-line of the "slamming era" of the early 2000's era.

Warning: This statement runs counter to most popular beliefs, therefore it is intended to educate, not infuriate, those who read it!

thanks Tony,

let me point you to this thread i posted not long after i first got it....see if this changes your perspective any, & let me know what you think:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354839

& when i think of "unmolested", i think of something that hasn't been touched...yet this one has had 2 repaints, a different engine, minor dash cut for radio, shaved backup lights (don't know why), & ultimately that VIN....& while i have the original 283, it's not entirely complete...oh, & i have no build sheet to verify everything...no doubt some of that can be fixed to original specs...every body panel i've seen underneath shows some of the original color...but tracing code 537 back, i came up with light blue/white....however, the color doesn't look light blue to me, but more of a "teal-ish" color....so i'm confused there too

but if this is as pristine as some seem to think, maybe i need to make a 360* turn, sell it, & try to find something else to modify, lol

Last edited by likaroc13; 06-10-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
.... For me, stock is boring. If you ultimately want it dropped, I’d say do it now if you have the time and budget to get in done on schedule.!
Good advice here. Unless your planning on doing a retro 60's wedding, with everything looking exactly like it did back then, there is no reason to do it twice, just for the sake of the pictures.

These trucks look great with a nice drop on them, so I vote that you "enhance" those wedding photo's with a dropped classic.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #23
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
thanks Tony,

let me point you to this thread i posted not long after i first got it....see if this changes your perspective any, & let me know what you think:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354839

& when i think of "unmolested", i think of something that hasn't been touched...yet this one has had 2 repaints, a different engine, minor dash cut for radio, shaved backup lights (don't know why), & ultimately that VIN....& while i have the original 283, it's not entirely complete...oh, & i have no build sheet to verify everything...no doubt some of that can be fixed to original specs...every body panel i've seen underneath shows some of the original color...but tracing code 537 back, i came up with light blue/white....however, the color doesn't look light blue to me, but more of a "teal-ish" color....so i'm confused there too

but if this is as pristine as some seem to think, maybe i need to make a 360* turn, sell it, & try to find something else to modify, lol
Unaware of the history of the truck and having never done a comprehensive inspection, it appeared to be pretty true in the photos, but after reading your previous thread, I realize it is a mish-mash of Chevy & GMC parts & VIN etc. As often stated, "It is your truck, do what you like", although very true, this statement doesn't take into account the long-term effects of personally customizing the truck. I have been told "It takes a real man to chop one up", however, it also takes a lot of self-control to leave one alone or resist the tempation to customize it, when doing a restoration.

With the mainstream tendencies to resto-mod, chop, channel, smooth, french, bag, slam, section, etc, etc, etc, we have found a niche doing factory-correct/era-correct restorations. Since this is a "What do you think" opinion poll, we chimed in with our thoughts. Different strokes for different folks, right?

P.S. - Your truck at the Good Guys shows in the midwest, would be the exception, not the rule, since it would be one of a very few in its current state, compared to all the customized examples.

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-12-2010 at 10:28 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I say split the difference somewhat. Do a hotrod/traditional look. Update your suspension and brakes and run your steel wheels minus the hubcaps, you probably get the picture.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #25
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
Unaware of the history of the truck and having never done a comprehensive inspection, it appeared to be pretty true in the photos, but after reading your previous thread, I realize it is a mish-mash of Chevy & GMC parts & VIN etc. As often stated, "It is your truck, do what you like", although very true, this statement doesn't take into account the long-term effects of personally customizing the truck. I have been told "It takes a real man to chop one up", however, it also takes a lot of self-control to leave one alone or resist the tempation to customize it, when doing a restoration.

With the mainstream tendencies to resto-mod, chop, channel, smooth, french, bag, slam, section, etc, etc, etc, we have found a niche doing factory-correct/era-correct restorations. Since this is a "What do you think" opinion poll, we chimed in with our thoughts. Different strokes for different folks, right?

P.S. - Your truck at the Good Guys shows in the midwest, would be the exception, not the rule, since it would be one of a very few in its current state, compared to all the customized examples.
thanks Tony,

you're definitely right about different strokes for different folks...i really admire what you guys are doing up there with your restorations...if mine were as factory "spot on" as some of yours & your customers trucks, i'd no doubt leave mine as original as possible...in all likelihood, mine is gonna stay the more original look until after the wedding...mainly because both funds & time schedule are tight...if lowering, i'd have to deal with re-routing exhaust; and i don't wanna do that until i get the entire frame cleaned/painted, which means removing the cab...and on, and on, and on....you know how it goes, lol...i just have to do things one at a time

so for now, i'll just work on getting power steering & power disc brakes...gonna also throw on some rust free fenders, doors, & ditch the 65 emblems and big mirrors...then i gotta do a few small mechanical things

i'll start a build thread in the near future to keep you all posted...i really appreciate all the opinions/input