The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
macdodd

carburation system

I'm using a edlebrook 4barrel system on a 350 with 305 heads and a 3/4 race cam. Wondering if changing to another system would benefit me as far as better gas milege and/or performance?
macdodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: carburation system

Probably not. i hope that Edelbrock you have on there is a 600 CFM or else it is gonna be too big for the motor, as far as regular street driving with any hopes of decent mileage. jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Mike C

Exactly which 3/4 race cam do you have...? This is an antiquated term back to the days of Flathead Fords and doesn't help answer your question.

The best thing you can do for fuel economy is lower engine RPM's either through an overdrive transmission or numerically lower rear gear ratio and/or taller tires. There is a big difference also in whether you are running a Performer and a 600 cfm carb or a Victor Jr and a 750 cfm carb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
leftybass209

We need a lot more information than what you provided. What rear end gears, trans, tire size, dual or single plane intake?

The Edelbrock carb "generally" will provide the best in fuel economy versus a Holley carb of the same or similar CFM. That being said, the Holley can usually outperform an Edelbrock, but that performance usually comes in the higher RPM range, and more fuel consumption. A Quadrajet can usually perform equally as well as any carb, but takes an experienced mechanic as they are a bit more complicated.

I won't debate which will run better because I've seen all of them perform flawlessly from people that know how to tune them.

While the carb is the first piece on the engine that receives fuel, the gearing, trans, heads, and camshaft have much more to do with how much of that fuel your engine will consume.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Exactly which 3/4 race cam do you have...? This is an antiquated term back to the days of Flathead Fords and doesn't help answer your question.

The best thing you can do for fuel economy is lower engine RPM's either through an overdrive transmission or numerically lower rear gear ratio and/or taller tires. There is a big difference also in whether you are running a Performer and a 600 cfm carb or a Victor Jr and a 750 cfm carb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I was wondering where the other 1/4 of the cam when myself lol
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
macdodd

LOL,,,yea,,,my bad,,,,sorry for the confusion,,,,I'm looking to maybe change out the carb,,,like I said ,,,its running good for a daily driver,,,,so right now, its cool.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
GRX

3/4 cam ... Wow. Have not heard that in a while. The term often led to people thinking they had a 3/4 inch lift cam. Which we know is very likely not the case. For fuel economy on the street I am a fan of the good old Q-jet. Provided you can put around using the small primaries and avoid kicking in the bigger secondaries. Always had trouble with that one myself Those carbs came stock on engines from 200 to 500 cubes. Trick is tuning it right for your particular application.
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
jayoldschool

Also, WHICH Edelbrock carb makes a difference, too. For example, the 1405 is jetted richer for performance than the 1406 electric choke model (which is designed for more economy). Of course, you can rebuild a 1405 to 1406 specs (and vice versa). I would also agree that the 600cfm is the correct choice.

After carburation is sorted, move on to ignition and exhaust. Then, gearing and overdrive. Then... heads... FI... engine swaps...
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
macdodd

The carb is a edelbrock 1405-1354. Thinking about changing over to a q-jet carb..would this maybe help the milage? And if so,,,,could I use the same intake that the edelbrock sets on now? Thanks,,,
Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I always get best mileage with Quadrajets. You can buy a spread-bore adapter, but I think a correct intake will flow best. All you really need is a stock intake. You'll be fine if you don't want to change it. I doubt whatever cam you have makes your engine any more radical than what GM built and put a quadrajet/cast intakes on. You need the proper Quadrajet, though, a smaller one

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The flow of the "305 heads" is also killing your power. It might have bumped up the compression, but the gains are negated by the cruddy flow and small valves of the head itself. Match that with a cam that's waaaaayyyy to big and then you have to put your foot in it more to do anything. Therefore burning more gas in the process.

I agree that a Q-jet will do very well to improve fuel economy over aftermarket stuff. That was their job when they were bolted to these rigs at the factory. But just finding a dusty Q-jet on a shelf and bolting it on won't usually do the trick. You will need one built by a reputable source for optimum economy and performance.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
macdodd

I checked with the guy the put the cam in,,,its just a replacement one for the one that was in there.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
macdodd

Any suggestions as to which q-jet to get? The truck runs good,,,just when you push down to go,,,,just doesn't seem to have the pep it should, unless you really get in it,,of course its been awhile since I had a motor like this one,,,,LOL Starts good,,,once warmed up,,,takes afew more spins to start it,,,had a upgrade starter put in. Has 210 thermostate, have a new one(180) to put in it. Checked the milage awhile back,,,13/15mpg,,on the road at 65mph.

Last edited by macdodd; 07-08-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #14
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdodd View Post
Any suggestions as to which q-jet to get? The truck runs good,,,just when you push down to go,,,,just doesn't seem to have the pep it should, unless you really get in it,,of course its been awhile since I had a motor like this one,,,,LOL Starts good,,,once warmed up,,,takes afew more spins to start it,,,had a upgrade starter put in. Has 210 thermostate, have a new one(180) to put in it. Checked the milage awhile back,,,13/15mpg,,on the road at 65mph.
Bud if you are getting 13/15 mpg in that truck now I wouldn't expect to see much more if any by a carb swap. These things are bricks.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
cdowns

You can sit with a batch of carbs and spend the money to keep changin em and dick around all you want and in the end you'd be better off sitin in the living room with a bic lighter and just burnin up your cash and end up with that same milage
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #16
geezer#99

With your motor set up you need all the initial timing your motor will handle.
So, what's your initial timing?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #17
macdodd

Oh lord,,,now you're asking something I don't know,,,LOL. He set it when he put the cam in and it starts quick. Of course when the engine is heated up,,,takes afew more turns to start it,,,,,,
Old 07-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #18
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdodd View Post
Oh lord,,,now you're asking something I don't know,,,LOL. He set it when he put the cam in and it starts quick. Of course when the engine is heated up,,,takes afew more turns to start it,,,,,,
Time to buy a timing light and learn how to use it.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #19
macdodd

Yea,,,,next week,,,,,
Old 07-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #20
Wrenchbender Ret

If you have the Edel. Performer intake, it is made to take the Q-jet or the square bore carb.
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #21
Redline novdog

The 305 heads are supposed to bump compression ( 1/2 c.r.)? If they are not the 1.94 or 1.85 intake heads or ported,then all is mute. A performer intake and that carb wil help MPG. If you want fuel mileage then start looking at fuel injection.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

actually... 13 to 15 mpg is pretty damn good for a truck with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #23
macdodd

LOL,,,,,I was concerned about the rpms up high,,,,,65mph=@2800rpms,,but was told , thats not really that bad. Thinking about running up to the Smokies and don't want to mess something up,,,,yea,,I know,,,the thing weights alot.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #24
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

LOL... that's low for an old 350. You're now used to driving modern rigs with supercalifragalistic overdrives and fuel injection.

The 350's of yore ran the freeways over 3,000 RPM's all day long and didn't even work hard.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #25
macdodd

I'm carrying around 28lbs of oil pressure at the same rpms,,,,was told, thats ok too, as long as it stays steady, which it does,,,,running 20/50 oil, gets hot here in Florida,,,LOL