The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
bradh

Question External Regulator to CS144 Conversion

I'm converting a '72 C10 with external regulator to a CS144 alternator. I plan to add AC and a MKVIII fan so I figure it's a good time to upgrade the charging system. I scored a 220 Amp "Stinger" (never heard of them) CS144 at a swap meet for $10. I figured if nothing else it was a good core. I took it to the parts store and they threw it on their tester and it indeed was putting out 220 Amps and 14 to 15 volts. It had a broken fan so they dug through their pile of spare stuff from cores and hooked me up with a free fan. They also supplied me with the CS pigtail for about nine bucks.

I unplugged the external regulator and spliced the blue and brown wires together. On the back of the CS144 I connected the heavy S wire to the battery terminal on the back of the alternator and connected the L wire to the original blue wire on the alternator plug. I also ran a heavier gauge wire from the battery terminal on the alternator to the battery. My truck does not have a factory warning light to excite the field on the alternator, it has an amp gage. Do I need to add a resistor or warning light or is there resistance built into the system already? I started it up and it's putting out 14.8 volts so it is charging. I just don't want to mess up my "new" $10 alternator. Thanks.

Brad
bradh is offline   Reply With Quote