The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

It's been bugging me that the engine seems to be running fine, but that it's not driveable. Everytime I drop the tranny into gear, it stalls. I talked to a mechanic friend and also had a couple ideas myself. At first I thought it was timing, I double checked TDC and it was close enought. I put a new degree tape on though anyway. I set the intial timing at 10*, hooked the vacuum advance up and it jumped up as it should. I adjusted the idle mix screws, but it was running a little choppy yet. The vacuum off the carb nozzle was only about 10", which is severely low. I swapped it to the manifold vacuum connector and it was closer to 15-20, but still not good. Checked for vacuum leaks and couldn't find any.

I'm going to adjust the valves next. If I have even one intake valve out of adjustment, the vacuum will be bad. The cam install procedures say to adjust them with the engine shutdown, turning it over by hand, going cylinder to cylinder. I don't trust this style of adjustment, because it depends on the hydraulic lifters having a certain preload. I'll try it the old fashion way. Start it, pull a valve cover, loosen the nut til it clacks, tighten until it stops and give it another 1/4 turn. It always worked before.

In anycase, it was better today, but still not right, and not ready for the road. The front driver caliper is sticking. I would like to find where the tranny leak is at. And it drained the battery dry the last few days. Lots of little problems.

I got my new oil dipstick. Tubeless, which will be a problem checking the oil when it's hot, but how often do you really do that.

It tucks down in there quite a bit.

Got the front bumper on. I had to reweld a nut onto one of the little brackets. And I chased the threads to clean them out. It went together alright. I'll add the outer brackets later.

And I took this picture cause I liked the lighting. It was just the garage door opener light. But the camera flash came on and brightened it.

In closing, I think the valve adjustment will cure the low vacuum, and get it running better. Then I can do better carb tuning from there. This sure would be easier if it was warmer than single digits outside.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote