The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Denee007

Hi! my '59

Hi, I said hello in the Welcome area, so now I'm saying hello here as I'm going to need some suggestions!
I bought this truck from a lady here in Houston. It's already painted a beatiful maroon/burgundy metallic with pearl. It has a 230/250 I6 with a 4 speed tranny(granny gear). Ive spoke to my husband about what I'd like to do, but money is a little tighter than usual, but that's why it's a long term project, but not as long as if I were have to paint it!

It has the stock suspension, has been upgraded to power front disc brakes(master cylinder/booster under the floor).
The rear axle on the drivers side is set back about 2-3 inches due to what I can tell the driveshaft is too long. The passenger side is where it's supposed to be. so I guess I'll pull the driveshaft, bolt the rear axle to where it's supposed to be, measure for the correct length and get the driveshaft cut to fit.
The 230 I6 upon firing it up after a couple years, made an aweful noise and found out there were tiny metal things in the combustion chamber. I pulled the head and found there was a war going on inside 1-4 cylinders, I removed the debris, then pulled the pistons, my motor man inspected the head/pistons and said its ok, put it back together ; ) IN one of the photos, you can see that the front "engine moung" is one piece of metal with a bushing holding the front of the 230 up! I was looking for a better way to mount the motor, but unsure if I want to keep this motor/tranny!
Anyway, Got it running but I just can't get that Rochester carburetor to do right! argh! I'll order another carb kit and try again!

* I just don't know whether to look for another motor(V8/automatic).
* I feel the front end just sits a little too high and see that a vendor offers a lowering kit of 3"'s utilizing the same front leaf springs?
* I definitely would like power steering

My husbands thoughts: just get it running and see what I can do with what I have to work with right now.

I'll just leave it at this for now and see what you guys/gals might have to say~ ; )
dne'

Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote