The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
smokedat

Re: LS1 into a 73 cheyenne

I decided to cancel the pop up gas cap because of the work involved, i started to block the truck and realized that right now its nice and straight and if i install the cap i will only create more work thats not necessary.
Right now the truck body work is complete the only thing that is holding me back from starting the paint procedure is the engine. I need to install some new components i rather wait on paint and do the engine work now that its out and easy to work on rather than rushing and installing the motor and having to work on it when installed. I wasnt satisfied with the comp cam i had so i will be taking care of this issue now.
I will be doing a complete new valve train and cam and stall job and try and get all the horse power i can naturally aspirated while still being streetable not a daily driver but i want to drive this and not worry about grinding a lifter on slow rpms.

I havnt ordered the pushrods until i get the assembly going the rockers are adjustable so in theory i can use anything within the range might eaven use the ones installed now
Their are some limitations in cam choice for a streetable car, RPM range curves, maintenace and so, The bottom half of my engine will be stock for now with that in mind i needed to stay below a .600 valve lift to clear the PTV piston to valve clerance anything close or above .600 will push valves to close to the pistons or possibly crash into, you can solve this either by changin the time or changing the rods or pistons . During my build up will will check my clearance with the puddy technique to be on the safe side. Once i get this installed i will give it a proper tune to get the most of this set up, If i ever need more power i will go to a supercharger and redo my build to match the spacs required.

I will be using the following components

Lunati Hyd roller cam, rough idle. Good all out street performance and mid level race cam. Engine and computer modifications are required.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 283/293
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 224/224
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .560/.560
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2500-6000

Lunati Street Performance Hydraulic Roller Lifters with the link bars

Lunati DUAL VALVE SPRING KIT

Comp Cam billet double roller adjustable

Melling high vloume oil pump

Jesel Sportsman Series Shaft Mounted Rocker Arms 1.7

APS Farbricated Shrt Valve Covers to clear the taller rockers