The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
|ow|ife

swapping automatic trans. to manual with 4wd

Hi Guys,

I am going to go look at a 75 Blazer that has a factory 400. The owner wasn't sure what transmission was bolted to it, but it is an automatic and is starting to slip. Now, I would prefer to swap in a 3 speed manual if I were to buy this truck. And I know that since it's a 400 (not a 402) the motor is an SBC, so the 3 speed would bolt right up.

The only thing I don't know is how the transfer case figures into the equation. I've always worked on 2 wheel drives. I know some modern trans integrate the transfer case into the trans, but I also know that people like to put TH400s into trucks with 4wd so I am thinking the Trans cases are stand alone units here

My question is this: Does the 4wd capability affect what transmissions I can swap in? And btw, this is a pic of the potential new project--owner wants $850 firm
Attached Images

use your skills, not your wallet
|ow|ife is offline   Reply With Quote