The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
jrdamien

1950-ish Chevy 3100 Build

Have you ever had the distinct feeling you've bitten off more than you can chew?

Today was spent picking up the frame. I got it from fellow site member semn49. A really good guy who gave me a hell of a deal on a rolling '49 chassis that's in remarkable shape.

The truck I was going to use to tow the frame fell through, and then the trailer I was going to borrow become unavailable, but today had to be the day, so...

Does this violate the *-Haul contract?
FIY, *-Haul trucks are only as long as they're advertised along the top. I almost drove off with a truck several feet too short for the frame.

Got it to the garage and gave it a good look over. I already knew it was a in great shape. Someone, somewhere along the line, cleaned and painted it already. No way it's this good after 60 years:

There's not even enough rust to scrape!

Here's the only bummer. The rear engine crossmember is bent in and will have to be beat out:

Tomorrow I'm going to tear it down and clean it up...after I return the pneumatic scraper and greaser I bought because I just won't need it. I'll use that money to buy the rusty metal primer and paint!

Funny story: I asked the kid at HB where the pneumatic tools were and he looked at me dead eyed and said "The what?"
jrdamien is offline   Reply With Quote