The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
Hideintire

You're invited to a wedding...C10 weds C5...and the TWO shall become ONE! C105

Welcome and thank you for your interest...I have a dream...a lowly C10 that rides and handles like a C5 Corvette. Is it doable? Is it practical? Will it work? Questions that need to be answered...
Surprisingly, the truck weighs in at 3300 lbs...give or take. A C5...3100 lbs. When you shed the factory heavy front cross member and replace it with the C5 aluminum cradle...toss the heavy rear end assembly for the C5 aluminum rear cradle...factor in the LS6 weight savings of roughly 100 lbs....we might see a C10 weight of 3100 lbs. But, with the C5 rear-mounted tranny...the front/rear weight distribution of 53/47% for the Z06 might also be a reality!
We have the frame on a table and the C5 front and rear cradles mounted. The torque tube will need 10.5” added. We decided to use the rear frame and just stiffen as needed. We cut the front frame horns off, just in front of cab mounts...here we have added 2x4 tubing, as needed. Surprisingly...it looks like the cab will need very little surgery for the engine...Were keeping our fingers crossed! I've not decided if I will raise the bed 2” or just make a cover for the tranny where it interferes. I intend to use this as a truck...so this will be a sore spot if I don't raise the bed.
Debating were to mount a gas tank and how to run exhaust...I want all this positioned so we have tabs in place before we finish frame. Lots to consider....
I am blessed to own an industrial machine shop...and no obama, you did not build this business! Without this luxury it would be hard to accomplish this dream. I need to thank my son, Jonathon, up front because without his engineering abilities my dreams would not see the light of day!
Well, here are the first pictures (the automatic transaxle was just used for trial fit...) more to follow....God Bless!
Thanks for looking!
Jimmy
Attached Images

Hideintire is offline   Reply With Quote