The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Chris in Idaho

Do Vortec Engines have Billet Steel Cams?

I'm going to replace the distributor in my L29 with an Ebay/Skip White aluminum one. Most of the reviews I've read find the machining and quality control to be pretty good on these products. I know the other components like the cam position sensor, drive gear, cap/rotor will probably be the cheapest available (doesn't necessarily make them bad), so I'm trying to plan which parts to use and which to swap. I emailed and got a response back within 3 minutes. Here's the conversation:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Adam
to skip

Hi I was wondering what material the gear is made out of on your Vortec 454 distributors? I think the stock cam requires a melonized gear.
Thanks,
Chris

Skip White
The gear is at it should be. We never have an issue with this.
Jan 2 (2 days ago)

Chris Adam
Is it melonized?
12:09 PM (22 hours ago)

Skip White
No, who said it had to be?

12:35 PM (22 hours ago)
Chris Adam
General Motors, plus any engineer who ever designed an engine with a billet steel cam like the vortec engines. I'm not trying to start an argument, I've already ordered the distributor, just trying to decide which parts I want to swap before installing it. Thanks for letting me know the gear is not melonized. I think your price would be a good deal even if it was for the bare aluminum housing by itself.

12:53 PM (21 hours ago)
Skip White
Chris, the Vortec cam is not a steel billet cam. I'm about 100% sure. I could be wrong, but why would they put a billet steel cam in a oe hyd. roller cam vehicle.

1:01 PM (21 hours ago)
Skip White
to me
Chris, I have emailed Robert Lou the general mgr at Howards cams. Lets see what he says.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So have I read wrong? Do the vortec engines not have a steel billet cam? What do you guys think about me reusing the cam position sensor from my original distributor?
Chris
Chris in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote