The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
bhammer

4x4 Suspension Questions

Hi guys,

I am attempting my first 4x4 rebuild of a 72 GMC. Forgive my lack of knowledge but I don't know anything about 4x4 suspensions, drivetrain, etc. I've only restored 2wd trucks. So I am wondering about the leaf springs, I was told that it would be good to swap out the stock front springs with 52 inch leafs and put on a B-52 Kit from DIY4X.com. Anyone know about this? Why would it be beneficial to swap the front out with longer leafs? Also here is what I am wanting to do, I want to do a suspension lift on the truck but I only want like 2 inches of lift. I am not looking for anything drastic. I know you can put blocks in place that will lift it up but are they strong and reliable? This truck is going to be my daily driver and I also want to be able to do some towing with it. Is it possible to put bags or something in the rear so when I put a heavy load on it the back end won't sag down? Can anyone help out a 4x4 newbie and direct me in the best way. Money isn't an issue, I'd rather do it right the first time and spend the money to get a good suspension set up. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brian

Here's a list of what I'm currently working on.

72 GMC 4x4 (current frame off rebuild)
72 Chevy LWB (396, 2wd) Daily Driver
71 Chevy 3/4 ton LWB, no motor or trans.
bhammer is offline   Reply With Quote