The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
pbbelly

'66 Custom Camper workhorse project

I was in need of a truck to haul off several tons of scrap iron. I toyed with the idea of buying some old junker to do the deed and then sell it, but I have always had a soft spot for '60 to '66 Chevy trucks. I have a 4bt Cummins that I got for another project that didn't work out as intended. I figured I would be less likely to run afoul of the emissions police if I put it in a pre-'67 truck, so I started looking. In my neck of the woods it seems these old trucks fall into three categories: super nice & modified, ratty & modified, Swiss cheese & wrinkles. I was in the market for an unmolested original. I didn't care if the paint was thin (in fact, that was my preference). I wanted a 3/4 ton, but would've settled for the right 1/2 ton. I looked at several candidates that were too rusty (holes rusted through over the windshield). Then I found a '66 Custom Camper 2.5 hours away. It was missing the engine and Turbo 400 transmission (he claimed it was a 283, but he also called the Eaton rear axle a 12 bolt so I suspect it was really a 327), had rust in the rockers and cab corners, but was otherwise complete and unmolested. I have a donor '70 C20 that will supply an SM465 and bellhousing and possibly other pieces. I also have a '61 C20 stepside (rough and rusty) that will donate a clutch pedal and possibly some other pieces as well.

My game plan is to put a later model front end under to get disc brakes and rubber control arm bushings and a later rear axle with lower (numerically) gears. I have located one with 3.21 gears at a salvage yard. That would make for an ideal cruising rpm with the 465, but I plan to keep my eyes open for a deal on an NV4500 5speed and 3.21 gears would be less than optimal for that.

I have a hydroboost unit and matching gear driven p/s pump that came with my 4bt.

I have some questions that some of you may be able to answer and save me some trial and error:

1. Will the rear manual crossmember from the '70 fit in the '66 frame?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, will one from the '61 work? I know there are significant differences bewtween '61 and '66 frames in other areas.

3. Will the '70 (manual floor shift) steering column fit?

4. Does the '61 C20 have the same vulcanized rear cab mounts? (it's not like it will be hard to look at that, but it is at my dad's farm and I won't be up there for a few days.)

I plan to put a steel floor in the bed and replace the floorboards, rockers and cab corners, but I have no plans for further restoration for now. Once I have finished with the hauling project I will keep the old gal around for haulage duties and to drive on my 100 mile commute in inclement weather (I may install limited slip or a selectable locker??). I may grow tired of the patina and do a full blown cosmetic restoration at some point, but I doubt it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!