The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
rod1701

4" LOWERING SPRINGS 70 Suburban

I've read through most of the archives about lowering springs vs cutting vs heating vs spindles vs air bags. Also all of the advise against going more than 3" with springs only on the front but here goes anyway......

I bought and installed a 3/4 kit with new lowered shocks for my 70 suburban.

I intentionally stayed away from the 3/5 kit because I wanted to keep a bit of a forward rake. Now that it is done, the front sits a little higher than the rear. It is almost level but not quite.

I have already spent a small fortune (at least on my budget) to buy and restore 6-lug rally wheels, painted body color, later model center caps, trim rings, and 275/60/15 tires. So with the 6- lug, 4-wheel power drums, I don't have a lot of options. I am looking at cutting 1/2 of a coil off the fronts to try to level or get my slight rake back.

From what I have read in the other posts, most advise against it because the springs tend to move around in their pockets or run into the bump stops. I have no problem cutting the bump stops and in the current setup, the springs aren't moving around and much to my neighbors angst, I intentionally hit the speed bumps pretty hard to check it out. The current stance is just unacceptable.

I would prefer to drop the front another 1" but I guess I could go up in the rear an inch but more people here are talking about going down than up.

I know that I may be opening Pandora's box but could use a little advise. I know that I am likely to get "don't do it unless you're gonna do it right" or "just do the disk conversion from the 73-87, it bolts up and only costs $---" but seriously, I did my homework and found those recommendations already. I have limited budget, skills, but still need a street-able/safe car. Constructive criticism please.