The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2015, 02:00 AM   #1
divideoverflow

Looking at a 1965 C30 - input appreciated

Hello! I don't have a truck yet, but am going to look at a 1965 C30 Dually with the intention of purchasing it this weekend. I could use some input from what you guys can tell of the condition from the pictures, and any things to look for.

The current owner has stated:
"I'm pretty sure it's a 230. It came with a 292 but it was probably swapped out. I don't know the ratio but it is geared low and tops out at 65-70."

He also stated the carb that came on it when he got it was not original and was missing parts, so he put a carb from a 1965 292 on there, so he thinks it runs a bit rich and needs some tinkering, but it isn't bad(I'm going to assume lean though, since the venturi diameter is larger in the 292 carb, right?).

Also, from what I read, it looks like the truck should have a 5.14 axle ratio or something of that nature... Is that always the case?

He also said the truck is pretty clean, just a little surface rust on the bed. He has the intake manifold and the carb the truck had on it when he got it, so I'll probably take those to see what is up with them.

From the pictures, it looks like an HEI distributor? Anything you guys can tell me by looking at it? I'm pretty excited, and want to make sure I don't miss something.

Any help in educating me is much appreciated :-)
divideoverflow is offline   Reply With Quote