The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
DRGunn

"New exhaust"

I replaced my exhaust with the kit from LMC. It arrived quickly and I cut the old exhaust out and was able to piece the exhaust together.

Problems arose when I assumed that the driver's side of the truck was the left side of the truck. I started putting in the right side of the exhaust, they are labelled right and left, but the right tail pipe turned into the center of the truck. Looking at the left tail pipe it looked like it would exit out behind the rear wheel if I installed it on the right side. So I installed it on the right side and the right tail pipe went to the left. Now both of these have the up and over section for the axle so if I wanted it to come out properly, the up and over would have been under the axle.

After getting things cinched down and starting it up I noticed it running a little slower at idle. Now I had already put in a fresh carb, HEI ignition, new plugs and oil/filter change but I was not expecting a lower idle speed.

After reviewing the old exhaust (was 1-7/8") I found some serious dents in the exhaust (see pics). Now running 2-1/4" exhaust I expect I need to tune things up a little...

Do you think it had some serious back pressure?
Attached Images

DRGunn is offline   Reply With Quote