The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
OneOffStroker

Re: Bagged woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
ok, oneoffstroker, I need to see some pictures of this ride height setup. every bit of research into leveling systems I see shows it requires two leveling valves per wheel (or two per axle if you are teed), two solenoid valves per wheel (or axle) and a pressure switch added to each wheel (or axle). the only way I see it working with one leveling valve and two solenoids per wheel (I havent seen how it works with only one solenoid yet because when I do a truth table the tank will exhaust through the dump valve if you only have one solenoid). I even looked at kneeling bus system diagrams and they are even more complex.

please, can you show us a couple pictures of your setup for clarity? it sounds promising!
I don't have any pictures now, and I am horrible about posting them, but I'll see what I can do.

I am quite sure that you have been looking into electric leveling systems, hence the multiple valves per wheel and so on. It does not have to be that hard, trust me.

About thinking that the valve just dumps the air from the tank, it absolutely does not. When the dump portion actuates, it vents the bag, but closes the supply. Think of it as a SPDT electrical switch, but in a manual pneumatic setting.

I hope that makes some sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59chev View Post
Following..

Alot of us are intregued by this manual - automatic leveling option.

As I understand it, this would only work with the height control valves that have an integrated dump valve. When the dump valve is activated, it dumps the air in the bags and closes the intake valve at the same time. When the dump valve is closed, the height control valve returns to normal mode and re-inflates the bags until the truck comes back up to ride height.
YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
I took a stab at drawing a schematic of what the OP described. Would appreciate any feedback from the OP as to its correctness-

When there's air pressure supplied from the tank to the pilot air port on the height control valve, the height control valve will function to regulate the height of the airbag (the red line on the schematic is the pilot/dump air controlled by the TW-1 valve)

If the pilot air is removed, the height control valve dumps the air out of the airbag.

Is this correct?
CORRECT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
The OPs description of the height control valve wouldn't have any solenoids either, and would be a 'set it and forget it' system, with the option to dump the airbags with the TW1.

But with the OPs system, the only way you can change ride height is to adjust the linkage to the height valves, which is ok with me. Once i get it set to a height I like, I'd likely just leave it there.
CORRECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Sounds like a good system. I do adjust mine a little but I also load my truck on a regular basis as I pull a camper or boat and load all kinds of junk on the back so in my case I need the ability to adjust. My only question would be with the ride height dump valves do you end up with alot of compressor cycling because the valves are making regular adjustments? by this I mean what happens when you go into a long sweeping corner? The more I think about it with this system I would not have to adgust for load it would do it for me, correct?
You are correct in that the system could constantly use air when the suspension flexes, but minute changes aren't that big of a deal, so compressor cycling is about the same as it is with a fancy high-dollar Accuair system. I want to be frank here and mention that I am not dogging on Accuair. In fact, I have their Gen 1 setup in my '50 F1, and will be buying a new one for my '57. Some projects are worth spending the money on...

Also, yes, you set it and forget it. If you add load to your truck, it will automatically compensate and air back up.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote