The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
ak47paul

1970 C10 body swap on a 1985 K20 4x4 suburban

Ok here is my plan, I been thinking about doing this for a while now I am going to put my 1970 chevy C10 on a 1985 suburban 4x4 chassis. I know it has been done before, but I have yet to find a detailed thread on doing the swap. There are several threads where guys say don't do it just sell what you have and go buy a 4x4. Or they say convert your original frame to 4x4. Bottomline is I really don't care what the next guy thinks I should do, I am doing it this way because it is the way I want to do it. I have weighed out my other options, And even bought a 71 K10 4X4. After stripping it down the frame was a big piece of rusted out ****. heavy rust flaking, swelling at the spring hangers Just a big waste of money. I also don't care about resell value as i plan to drive this truck for the rest of my days. Also the 1985 suburban I am using only has 82K original miles on it. Ran and drove like New. Not sure how others have done it but here is what I plan to do.

Drill and punch out all cab mount rivets. And build custom brackets to bolt back into original frame holes but index mounts for the older cab.

Drill and punch out all rivets on rear springs and move forward 2.5 inches to make wheel base 127" correct for 1970 pickup

Bob off rear frame section and move gas tank crossmember forward for a 31 gallon blazer tank.

I will be using a 2" body lift and a 2" spring lift giving me a total of 4 inches So I can run my 33" tires and have the look I want. I have to use the body lift due to the rear of the frame being about 1.25" higher than a stock pickup frame.
Attached Images

ak47paul is offline   Reply With Quote