The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
thumper56

In Bed Filler Location

After getting my 56 C3100 on the road last spring, realized I am just too tall (6'4") to drive comfortably. Always getting a "Charlie Horse" in my right calf after a short time. So first step- move the tank to under bed so I can move the seat back an inch or so.

Now have a tank, filler and sending unit from Brothers, and all seems straight forward enough for even me to understand. Only issue I am thinking about is how to mark for placement of the filler BEFORE drilling the hole in the bed. Yep, bed is already on and the floor is Cherry that I obtained from a local logger friend here in VT. Milled it, dadoed it so I'm pretty fond of it and don't want to screw it up!

So...

1) I am thinking I will place the tank under the frame rails temporarily mount it.

2) Then take a thin piece of cardboard and wrap around the filler tube on the tank, then pencil the circle on the floor bottom.

3) Remove the tank

4) Center drill the marked hole with 1/4" bit

5) Hole drill from the top using the 1/4" hole as the pilot guide.

6) Reinstall tank and pray it all worked.

Hopefully I have enough room for my tracing the circle from below. Pain in the Keeester, but can't think of a better way.

If anyone has done this filler neck locating with the bed already mounted, please give me your ideas!!!

Thanks for bearing with this lengthy post!