The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

When I got up this morning, I sat on the edge of the bed for a long while and Kathy asked if I'd had a rough night. I had and proceeded to tell her I was ready to throw in the towel and move on. But after moping around for awhile, I called GM Powertrain again and got yet another tech. He, like the others, said they weren't supposed to help customers. After whining about the expense of this package and how it's promoted as "plug and play" it got sort of tense, but he finally said that they see this problem a lot and it's always because the user has the wrong plug in the tailshaft sender. I was surprised because the VEH SPD plug in the ECM harness was nowhere near long enough to reach the trans. But he swore that was what needed to be hooked up.

So I took a deep breath and isolated the twisted pair from the sensor going into the TCU and snipped them. Then spliced the ends coming from the tailshaft sender into the VEH SPD wires out of the ECM harness. And, by golly, that did the trick. I now have a working speedometer and more importantly, the transmission shifts thru all 4 forward gears and the speed displays on the laptop calibration software. I can now start reassembling all the stuff I had to take apart while troubleshooting. Thanks to all for bearing with me while I wandered around in the fog and for all the suggestions.

This whole thing with the GM techs reminds me of a Brit talking to an American. They're both speaking English... but not really.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote