The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Jotto82

Father/Son Project

So not completely off topic but would like some input. I just bought my first square body. Always wanted one, found a decent one for a decent price with minimal rust. Especially for Wisconsin. Got it with the intention of working with my son to do some work and make a nice truck a guy can be proud of. I figure he just turned 12 on Monday so we have a few years before he’s driving that we can have this thing looking nice and maybe it can be his when he gets his license. Truck has a 350 in it. Nothing special, fairly recent rebuild. Wasn’t bored out or anything just ran through and freshened up. We both want to increase HP. I don’t know my way around a motor all that well and having someone else do the work completely defeats the purpose of working together with my boy. I’m looking for ideas on how he and I can build a motor that has some giddy up in it together. I’m not incompetent when it comes to vehicles so I’m confident in my ability to watch a YouTube video or get an explanation here and do some motor work. However. I want him involved and working on it. Not sitting watching me. He’s a smart kid and and great worker. Climbs out of bed every day and works the horse barn with me. If you guys have any simple builds that you have done or can think of let me know. I have looked at going to Vortec heads and things like that already. I have no doubt he and I could install some heads rather easily and he could help do that. I need more of a guide though. Where to start and what not. Should we keep it simple and start with new exhaust or pull the heads. What would you all do. Budget friendly and I wanna keep it simple. I know we can get some HP from it and I know it can done fairly cheap. Really just need to know what I should do so we are effective and it’s fun while achieving our goal. I’d like 300-400 HP. I’m sure that will mean some of the work will be bid out but what can he and I do to crank out the first 100 HP. Thanks for reading my novel!
Attached Images

Jotto82 is offline   Reply With Quote