The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
Ewr101

Replacing transmission seals and gasket.....again.

I replaced the speedo bullet o-ring and seal, shifter shaft seal along with a new pan and gasket today on the th350. Did this a couple months ago but still had some leaks that started to get worse so I thought I'd start from scratch again.

Found the new aluminum pan had cracked in the front drivers side corner. Decided to go with a steel pan and be EXTRA careful not to over tighten the bolts. The gasket is the extra thick, silicone or rubber with a steel core one from Moroso so I hope this will be the last time I have to take the pan off for a long while. (Filter is new too) Verified the pan was straight with a steel carpenters square, cleaned all mating surfaces with brake clean on a rag and even washed and rinsed the gasket in dawn to make sure it was free of oil and dirt. Fingers crossed on the pan being done now!!

The shift shaft seal and speedo were pretty easy the second time around. The right tools sure make things easier. Filled it up and went for a ride and all was well performance wise, we'll see if there's any fluid on the ground in the morning. Wish me luck!

Quick FYI- An office chair roller mat makes a great garage floor protector. I got one under each vehicle. Easily clean up and removable to hose off outside the garage.

Have a good Easter weekend everyone!